ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2003 WRX Wagon and I've had an issue ever since I got it where It just just wouldn't come into boost. Recently I installed a cobb access port so I could monitor what was going on with my engine and that when I saw that it wouldn't go passed 5 lbs. Now, I did flash an economy tune on it, HOWEVER, this problem was going on BEFORE flashing the tune. I put it on it cause I don't want to nuke the engine while I figure this out.
So, I have a check engine light for the engine running too lean and when I read what can cause it, it says most commonly a boost leak, but could be other things.
The car builds up to 5 pounds really smooth and just fine then stops and the power output of the car seems to decline. Boost stops building between 3-4k RPM.
I have checked to see that the restrictor pill is installed so I know that that isn't causing the actuator to open too soon.
I also had the intercooler off this am and made sure the output of the turbo and the air intake manifold were tight and I did the cab cleaner vacuum leak test and couldn't find anywhere it was sucking.
I have to vacuum line that I don't know where they are supposed to hook up to that have never been hooked up since I had the car. I don't have pictures of them at the moment but iI can get a couple.
Ill insert a diagram of the hoses and say which ones are not hooked up and hopefully you all just tell me I need to buy a new hose or something.

The red line I drew through the line is currently one solid line. The black arrow points to the hose that is currently plugged.

Line 1AB112 I believe is also not hooked up, however another line is hooked up to where it is supposed to flow.
I don't really know the operation of these line so I don't know what I can start messing with without hurting the engine.
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Update 2 - Second line vents to atmosphere...
update to atmosphere referring to the idle speed control motor? then yes, that line vents to atmosphere.

The top diagram is from your evap system. There are a few videos on youtube to help describe how to hook it all back up but also some on deleting the system to clean up your engine bay(then you will likely loose more fuel from your tank as is it will then vent to atmos. and likely cause cel). the fact you have it, what sounds to be "half deleted" may throw a code causing it maybe limit boost levels? idk that much about that side of it... perhaps @XJman or @WRX-maniac can help with that.

fastwrx.com has new hoses, evap purge valve and evap solenoid You say that black arrow points to a plugged line? do you have the purge valve? Item 42084G(top hat looking thing with small small line running to intake manifold and other end to turbo inlet) should be plugged into that line then run to the T fitting. Split down to the metal hose "A" and the other end of the T to the evap solenoid "B" top hole. the last hose, is the long one coming out of the top of the intake manifold that also connects to the EVAP solenoid or "B" in the bottom hole. EDIT: I may have the hole locations, top and bottom reversed.

·
Æternum
15,258 Posts
Post your Dynamic Advance Multiplier (DAM).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I did some more digging. I plumped all the line up and that fixed all the codes. We will say the repair is not "kosher", but it was much cheaper than buying the 3 hose assembly from subaru.
But I disconnected my waste gate solenoid and the car still stopped making boost at 5.5 psi. The stock waste gate spring is 7psi and let's assume the spring is a little worn so it wont make more that 5.5.
When i disconnect the waste gate solenoid and let the line running to the wastegate partially go to atmosphere it makes up to 16 pounds of boost then the ecu starts pulling timing and power output goes down.
So the wastegate is not stuck open so I think there is either a plug in the line running to the solenoid of the solenoid is busted.
If there is confusion as to what I've done I can go get some pictures.
I know that not letting the waste gate acuator is not the best thing for the motor but i think it is better than the ecu cutting fuel and letting the engine run lean.

·
Æternum
15,258 Posts
Post your Dynamic Advance Multiplier (DAM).
Before you waste your time and others, answer my question first.

This may not be mechanically related to the wastegate at all.

When the DAM decrements below a certain value, the ECU zeroes out the WGDC tables, which means you will see between 5 and 8 PSI of maximum boost depending on ambient conditions.

·
Æternum
15,258 Posts
Oh, btw... the "economy tune" runs wastegate pressure which would make sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZAX, it was messing up before the tune, however I was not taking boost reading from the tuner either. I'll hook everything back up, flash a non eco tune to it, and see what happens

·
Æternum
15,258 Posts
I'm asking you to post the results of your DAM parameter, that's all we need to know to clear out everything I just said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts