ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I think I'd like to run my car at maximum boost with the fuel cut killing my fun. The various devices available online are kind of expensive. Anybody found a cheap BC defender? Has anyone made their own?

-Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cheap boost cut defender

Mrt makes a very inexpensive boost cut defender that wire into the ECU. You should be able to get one for 65-70$. Check out subaruwrxparts.com. They usually have it in stock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is this "boost cut" or "fuel cut"?? I assume this is actual fuel cut as the ecu can't cut boost once an mbc is installed. Does the ecu cut the fuel based on boost or egt or what? I too am interested in an inexpensive fix (although I haven't begun enough mods yet to have experienced the problem). The fix for the DSM fuel cut costs about $1.75 in the form of a resistor spliced into one of the MAF wires. Won't be so lucky on the scooby I'll bet...

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbonick said:
is this "boost cut" or "fuel cut"?? I assume this is actual fuel cut as the ecu can't cut boost once an mbc is installed. Does the ecu cut the fuel based on boost or egt or what? I too am interested in an inexpensive fix (although I haven't begun enough mods yet to have experienced the problem). The fix for the DSM fuel cut costs about $1.75 in the form of a resistor spliced into one of the MAF wires. Won't be so lucky on the scooby I'll bet...
Basically, the ECU cuts the fuel when it sees too high a manifold pressure. Then it sets the CEL for wastegate malfunction. IT's not really a fun experience. I wish it were a simple reisistor wire-in, hell maybe it is!

-Jim

·
Registered
387 Posts
The HKS FCD is a resistor. This is a bad idea because it alters the signal all the time.
The GReddy BCC is a voltage clamp, so it will clamp it at whatever voltage you need. ie., you can set it to clamp at 17 psi. It will read properly all the time right up until you hit 17.5 and then it will keep the signal at that even when you are at 22, for example.

·
Registered
543 Posts
ok, so if i just read this right, you cel can come on if you are running too high of a boost level??

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
str said:
ok, so if i just read this right, you cel can come on if you are running too high of a boost level??
Not only do you get a cell, but you get a "fuel cut" just like you do at redline. If you make threshold boost at 4K, you'll get a fuel cut at 4K. It's quick surprizing when it happens. It totally freaked me out the first time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts