ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know i just installed my cobb ap and last night i got my downpipe installed and loaded the standard stage 2 map. i have been using the AP as my boost gauge and i have seen as high as 18psi...that was in 5th gear i believe, but cobb states that the target for stage 2 on the 08's is 15psi.

i definitely don't want to hurt the engine, so what do you guys think? :confused1

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
There is a difference between "boost creep" and "overboosting". You are just slightly overboosting. If your worried about it then eithe use the LWG map or contact Cobb.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. i may call them tomorrow and just see what they say about it. any ideas why i'm getting 3psi over what the target is? sorry for the questions, i'm new to tuning a boosted engine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i loaded the LWG map and i'm still boosting a little high. its not like it stays high though, it spikes and then drops back off. how much is too much?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Thats fine. Not a big deal. Everybody expects a little to much from the generic OTS maps that are supplied.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much boost is too much for a spike?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
how much boost is too much for a spike?
Fuel cut (you feel your car lose boost, almost violently, and the cruise light/check engine lights will blink).

18psi isn't bad...I was protuned to 20.5 on my stock 2007 STI turbo (VF43). Perhaps things are a little different with yours since you are at a higher elevation in CO?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i wonder about the altitude affecting boost levels.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
If you think about it...higher elevation means less dense air...meaning overboosting is less likely because its harder to make boost at higher elevations. If you were at sea level, I'd be willing to guess you would be overboosting quite a bit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called cobb, and the guy i talked to recommended that i stick with the LWG map until i get protuned because even for a spike, 20 psi is too much at my altitude. he said it equates to 23-24 at sea level which is more than the TD04 can do safely/reliably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts