ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Wrx and I want to begin modding it. I don't want to do something that is harsh and overdone to the car just yet. But I read somewhere that boost controllers aren't necessarily good for a stock ecu on the WRX. Plus, I want to get an intake, but some sources I read said that intakes aren't needed due to the pretty good design on the factory system. All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, for helping out a newbie;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just read a really good link on your question. Type "MBC Safety" on search. There is nearly 100 posts on this topic. The general thought appears to be: don't overkill on boost. Setting around 15psi will show dramatic improvements in 1st and 2nd gear. 16+psi will probably affect engine longevity. Make sure you use some sort of boost meter to monitor what your MBC is doing. I personally will be using a MBC with a Turbo Timer that has a boost gauge included. The Blitz DTT-DC was recommended. I don't have much info on intake for you, being that I'm just a stupid WRX Newb.:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
The general concensus on intakes seems to be "don't waste your money". There are cheaper mods that result in more power than an intake. Everyone seems to be happy with a K&N replacement filter. Dyno results have shown that cold air intakes have actually robbed a few hp from the WRX. Cold air intakes are not necessary because your turbocharger heats up the air that it sucks in anyway. If it were me I would go with a K&N replacement and use the rest of the money to buy an up-pipe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been going back and forth between the stock filter and a K&N. I can't tell any difference good or bad between the two filters. Save the money, replace your stock air filter and change the oil more frequently instead. Or, if you want mine, I'll gladly sell it to you for $20. It has about 300 miles on it.

jb

·
Registered
96 Posts
yesterday i istalled an injen CAI that i bought from God

cant really tell if it helps performance, but the sound of the car is now bizarre, and very cool too.....as you pound the throttle and the boost kicks up, it sounds as if the car is trying to inhale like a closely miked cocaine snorter and as you quickly lay off the gas, the whoosh of a 230 horspower toilet flush occurs....the exhaust is now more throaty as well...i think its neat...it looks great as well

next is the uppipe which i also bought from god at the same time

after that well see about boost controls and thats about it...no drag racing for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok my friend just got a WRX (01 or 02 not real sure on the year, its used though) i told him about this site and he may be posting soon.
now i'm not too good with all this techinal electronics. (i'm a chevy guy :) ) but i am somewhat familiar with turbos, a buddy of mine has a grand national (turbo 6 cyl) but the way you adjust the boost on is is with a wastegate to throttle linkage that you have to turn to up boost or lower.
now what would be the best boost controller to get for the money? do you have to do anyting to the turbo (wastegate mods blow off valve or something?) or is it pretty much straight foward mod?
sorry for all the questions ans some may be stupid but i don't know so i'm gonna ask :)
anything else to watch out for? probably either me or his girfriend's brother will be helping him so we want to know whats going on so we don't mess anything up lol.
and if i missed anything just let me know.
thanks
Andrew

·
4,769 Posts
smokin87iroc said:
ok my friend just got a WRX (01 or 02 not real sure on the year, its used though) i told him about this site and he may be posting soon.
now i'm not too good with all this techinal electronics. (i'm a chevy guy :) ) but i am somewhat familiar with turbos, a buddy of mine has a grand national (turbo 6 cyl) but the way you adjust the boost on is is with a wastegate to throttle linkage that you have to turn to up boost or lower.
now what would be the best boost controller to get for the money? do you have to do anyting to the turbo (wastegate mods blow off valve or something?) or is it pretty much straight foward mod?
sorry for all the questions ans some may be stupid but i don't know so i'm gonna ask :)
anything else to watch out for? probably either me or his girfriend's brother will be helping him so we want to know whats going on so we don't mess anything up lol.
and if i missed anything just let me know.
thanks
Andrew
To adjust boost I recommend an electronic boost controller which uses a selenoid valve or two to control boost. Some people use the cheap manual boost controllers but I don't and never recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
God said:

To adjust boost I recommend an electronic boost controller which uses a selenoid valve or two to control boost. Some people use the cheap manual boost controllers but I don't and never recommend them to anyone.
so the basic setup with the wastegate is the same it just uses a selenoid to adjust the boost instead of having to manually turn it with a wrench?
thanks
Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts