ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A boost controller just makes the turbo run higher and sooner, correct?
I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a boost contoller that is fairly easy to install, and remove (in case I need a trip to the Subbie dealer). What kind of 0-60 gains would it make with no other mods? Thanks in advance, Jeff :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vtach12 said:
A boost controller just makes the turbo run higher and sooner, correct?
I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a boost contoller that is fairly easy to install, and remove (in case I need a trip to the Subbie dealer). What kind of 0-60 gains would it make with no other mods? Thanks in advance, Jeff :confused:
i used to run a MBC (manual boost controller) that i bought from boostvalve.com for $50

the gains were tremendous and the installation was nothing

as to how it works...basically youre overriding the stock controller which limits the boost as well as reduces the boost at higher rpms in different gears...with the manual controller, you set whatever boost you want (i used 15.5 psi or 1.05 bar), and it will be pretty close to that setting in ALL gears (thats where the acceleration gains are made)

with a manual boost controller, boost will be controlled by throttle position/turbo spin and the drawback is that you can get high exhaust gas temperatures if you get into full boost at partial throttle...which can cause some damage over time

i dont run the MBC now...ive switched to an EBC (electronic) and the performance is even better and you can control all aspects of not only the level of boost, but how quickly or slowly you want it to build

if you can afford it, get a Blitz SBC-Id (sequential boost controller)...it costs about $500, and although much more difficult to install you will be able to avoid full boost partial throttle problems

but before you decide what type of boost controller to use, YOU MUST GET A CATLESS UPPIPE installed

hope this helps

todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
solution

I bought the turbosmart MBC from vivid. Great boost controller, and good thing is that it is and in cabin MBC so you can adjust while driving instead of having to get out and under th hood to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts