Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help! i'm new to the wrx, but not to turbo awd cars; i work at a volvo dealership and have driven plenty of s60R's for example; my problem doesn't exist on those cars but it does in my wrx...

when i'm rowing through the gears enthusiastically, i get a bog at the shift into the next gear, sometimes a slight shudder. usually 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th. my shifts are smooth not rough, and i'm letting off the clutch quickly; not forcefully but not slipping it either. and i'm not new to shifting or anything lol; i've got plenty of experience.

why could this be? am i falling off boost? or do these cars like you to be gentle when letting off the clutch at gear change? i'm shifting fast enough to not fall off boost... i've been experimenting a little but of course i don't want to be screwing around on the city streets. i do want to become familiar with my new car and learn to drive it before auto-x starts again. any suggestions are appreciated!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I read the thread you referenced, and I don't think that they are talking aboubt "bogging" Bogging is more of a "shudder" it happens when you drop the clutch too fast. Just "slip" the clutch, to let it engage slower. Slip it fast enough not to toast it, and slow enough not to bog. Its a balancing act. The higher your revs are the the more you'll have to slip it (oh the sweet aroma of burning clutch :) Yes, AWD cars are bad about bogging. Its a traction vs. power thing. We have too much traction and the wheels can't slip. Something has to give and its usually the tranny.

It's not a question of "gentle" but "smooth" smooth can be fast too. Rev match. Your'e in third at 3000 then just put in fourth, pause and ease off the throttle until 2000 and engage. It sounds like your not letting off the gas and quickly engaging at 3000. That's speed shifting, and a definite no no on our cars. The shorter that pause the more you slip the clutch. Dunno about you, but third at 5K, and ease into fourth a little past 4K (I'm guessing at the 4K its a feel thing, I just know how long and how much to ease off the throttle) is about as enthusiastic as I get. Just rev match and watch the tac until you get the feel of it.

Hope it helps,

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks bob. i've gotten some advice elsewhere which was pretty much what you've said... i'm learning everyday, but like i said, with all the hear-say of breaking trannies etc, i'd rather gather advice before i get out my checkbook!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does "Bogging" the car hurt anything?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does Bogging hurt the car?

Think about the extreme. You rev up to reline and drop the clutch. All that power HAS to go somewhere. In AWD cars the wheels don't slip so they give very little. All that energy goes into the rest on the drivetrain. On our cars the weakest link is the tranny. So yes it takes a huge hit. Someone can check me on this, but I think there is some protection in the '04s, but I don't count on it. Because we have such low end, it takes a healthy ammount of revs to get us going, I find 2500 is about the best. Repeatedly dropping the clutch and bogging even at 2500 can't be good. For my .02 I think alot of the tranny problems on these cars result from trying to drive them like a mustang. Our wheels don't spin. We bog.

Allan, found a nice thread on NASIOC about launching an STI, They describe bogging better than I did. Search bogging on there if your interested.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts