Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
January 12, 2003- Bavarian Motor Works (BMW) of North America announced earlier today that it will recall the majority of 2003 3 series models sold. Primarily due to internet speculation of the quality of the current brake pads.

Known for their quality braking systems, BMW will recall approximately 45,000 of the 3 series already sold in very late 2002/ early 2003. This gives the company the title of quite possibly having the biggest non-safety concern recall in automotive history. Some BMW customers have complained about the dust that the pads give off after hard braking, leaving their front alloy wheels significantly darker in appearence than the rear wheels.

"Even though the majority of the complaints came from non BMW owners, and were primarily about earlier models; we at BMW are concerned for future sales of the 3 series," a spokesperson for BMW of North America stated. BMW sold around 530,000 3 series models in 2001, and about 590,000 in 2002. BMW wants to break 630,000 in 2003 and will take every precaution available in order to boost sales.

Suprisingly, the greatly appreciated M3 will be affected by the recall. The M3 which got rave reviews for its 60-0 stopping distance of 112 ft will sacrifice stopping power to please non BMW owners. The new distance will be 123 feet, which will dissapoint many fans of the M series.

BMW is replacing the pads with longer lasting, less dusting pads made by Nissin (the supplier of Honda Motor Co.). Dealerships will start stocking replacement pads for older BMW's with less costing Nissin pads also. BMW will contact owners via mail."

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
WRX>MUSTANG said:
Some BMW customers have complained about the dust that the pads give off after hard braking, leaving their front alloy wheels significantly darker in appearence than the rear wheels.

:eek: God forbid that they might have to bend down and clean their wheels :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd rather have good brakes and dusty wheels then clean wheels and a smashed front end :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
My dad has a X5 4.4, my mom has a 745i and my sister a 530i, all of those cars give off WAY too much brake dust, I hate those freaking wheels, you have to clean them way too much , the wheels turn black the first time you take them for a drive, its insane. But they do stop good but so does my WRX, I dont know what BMW uses for there brake pads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
abbo7 said:
My dad has a X5 4.4, my mom has a 745i and my sister a 530i
:rolleyes:

M3 owners have to have longer braking distances because a few soccer moms complained about their wheels getting dirty?!...the M3 is an enthusiast model and should have retained the better pads...ugh how annoying...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts