ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That's pretty impressive.

We already have 6 speeds. You just need to upgrade to an STi. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Right now a diesel isn't an option for me at $4.00+ a gallon. I'm also not impressed with the Prius. The Geo Metro accomplished the same fuel mileage 20 years ago.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Right now a diesel isn't an option for me at $4.00+ a gallon. I'm also not impressed with the Prius. The Geo Metro accomplished the same fuel mileage 20 years ago.

Yes, but the Metro does not tell the world that you are responsible:rolleyes:

The Suby Diesels apparently gets 50mpg. $4 a gallon is nothing.

I get 34mpg now and pay $3.30 a gallon. 50mpg would mean filling up twice a month and I travel around 250 miles a week.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Yes, but the Metro does not tell the world that you are responsible:rolleyes:

The Suby Diesels apparently gets 50mpg. $4 a gallon is nothing.

I get 34mpg now and pay $3.30 a gallon. 50mpg would mean filling up twice a month and I travel around 250 miles a week.
I think Subaru's claim is optimistic. It's most likely going to be closer to 40.

I'm doing a hair over 500 miles a week. I'm getting 35mpg right now and paying $2.98 a gallon. $4. gallon is a 1/3 increase in price for me. That means a 1/3 increase in mileage would be roughly 47mpg, so buying a 50mpg diesel would do nothing for me but give me a car payment.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
^^What he said. Let's say that there was a 45mpg option for me; Prius, Diesel, whatever. I'll use the Prius, since the gas is cheaper, and it gets great mpg. (Though this varies greatly, if you look into it..)

With the mileage I drive, I would save roughly $17 a week. That's < $900 a year. (I'm using a weighted average between my truck and WRX, at about 28mpg) It would be many, many, many years of gas savings before I even broke even on the expense of buying the car.

It's for this reason that I usually roll my eyes when people run out and buy a new car with the stated reason being "I need to get better gas mileage". Are so few people capable of basic math? :confused:

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
. Are so few people capable of basic math? :confused:
Nail on the Head Ray.

My girlfriends sister got a new job with a long commute her pathfinder got 14MPG so she decided she wanted a "New" car, i suggested a used VW TDI golf she said that sounds like a good car, i told her how to finance it best by getting a loan from her bank, i also warned her about the resale value of Gas Volkswagons about 20 times. the next week she goes and buys a New 07 Jetta 2.0gas???????????????

i think she missed the point of saving money and now is talking about how she will sell it in a year and buy an X5:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

People like this deserve crippling taxes...

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think Subaru's claim is optimistic. It's most likely going to be closer to 40.

I'm doing a hair over 500 miles a week. I'm getting 35mpg right now and paying $2.98 a gallon. $4. gallon is a 1/3 increase in price for me. That means a 1/3 increase in mileage would be roughly 47mpg, so buying a 50mpg diesel would do nothing for me but give me a car payment.

This is not a claim by Subaru. It was a statement by Edmunds. When they tested the car they averaged 49.5.

How the hell are you paying 2.98:confused: I hate you.
I am paying 3.30 and Diesel is 4.

I agree that it does not match everybody's needs but in my example, it would save me. My tank is smaller and in days where defrost/airconditioning/city driving is needed (everyday in chicago) i get about 28-30 mpg:rolleyes:

·
Registered
954 Posts
^^What he said. Let's say that there was a 45mpg option for me; Prius, Diesel, whatever. I'll use the Prius, since the gas is cheaper, and it gets great mpg. (Though this varies greatly, if you look into it..)

With the mileage I drive, I would save roughly $17 a week. That's < $900 a year. (I'm using a weighted average between my truck and WRX, at about 28mpg) It would be many, many, many years of gas savings before I even broke even on the expense of buying the car.

It's for this reason that I usually roll my eyes when people run out and buy a new car with the stated reason being "I need to get better gas mileage". Are so few people capable of basic math? :confused:

The Diesel is not suppose to cost more than the petrol for subaru. So if you can afford a $24,000 car and are thinking about the Legacy Petrol or Legacy Diesel; you will save a ton by going with the diesl. (Ofcourse dealers will try to overcharge at first) :rolleyes:

That is the argument that article is making. Diesel, not hybrid is the way to go. Ofcourse they used a BMW which I am sure is not the same price as the Legacy.

I saved about 7,000 buying my car over a prius and only get 5 mpg worst than a prius; So agree with you on doing your math correctly.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
This is not a claim by Subaru. It was a statement by Edmunds. When they tested the car they averaged 49.5.

How the hell are you paying 2.98:confused: I hate you.
I am paying 3.30 and Diesel is 4.

I agree that it does not match everybody's needs but in my example, it would save me. My tank is smaller and in days where defrost/airconditioning/city driving is needed (everyday in chicago) i get about 28-30 mpg:rolleyes:
I live in Jersey where prices are normally at the lower end of the scale, and I run regular in my Mazda. Even if the fuel was $3.50 a gallon, it still wouldn't be worth it.

500 miles a week, $3.50 a gallon, 35mpg = $2600 a year.
500 miles a week, $4.00 a gallon, 50mpg = $2080 a year.

The big savings just aren't there. We're talking about $10 a week, and I drive a lot. For someone who only drives 250 miles a week, $5. a week really isn't worth it. If the car got 75mpg, or the diesel came down to $3.00 a gallon it would be worth it. Until then, it's just a novelty.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Did someone say Pious?

Can you imagine what the buying new cars does to a persons carbon footprint?

A single tear.

·
48,722 Posts
The Diesel is not suppose to cost more than the petrol for subaru. So if you can afford a $24,000 car and are thinking about the Legacy Petrol or Legacy Diesel; you will save a ton by going with the diesl.
I can see more logic to it if someone's "in the market anyway". I just know of many people who have used gas mileage as their stated rationale for purchasing a new model, and had to vent. :tongue:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I live in Jersey where prices are normally at the lower end of the scale, and I run regular in my Mazda. Even if the fuel was $3.50 a gallon, it still wouldn't be worth it.

500 miles a week, $3.50 a gallon, 35mpg = $2600 a year.
500 miles a week, $4.00 a gallon, 50mpg = $2080 a year.

The big savings just aren't there. We're talking about $10 a week, and I drive a lot. For someone who only drives 250 miles a week, $5. a week really isn't worth it. If the car got 75mpg, or the diesel came down to $3.00 a gallon it would be worth it. Until then, it's just a novelty.

If I were in the market for a legacy GT and saw the Diesel for the same price, 500 xtra a year is not bad. Now if I am in the market for a 17000 civic, then no, the Legacy Diesel would be a bad buy.

Again, that is if Subaru keeps it at the same price here in the states.

I actually agree with you to a point. The thing I am looking forward to is a the diesel impreza they already stated will come out. Price wise and mpg wise.

$17,000 diesel would be a great buy for me.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I can see more logic to it if someone's "in the market anyway". I just know of many people who have used gas mileage as their stated rationale for purchasing a new model, and had to vent. :tongue:

I agree. I love the Highway drivers with Hybrids:rotfl

Unless there is a traffic jam, that hybrid is a waste on the highway. Many people do not realize that the Hybrid performs better with City Mileage.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
This just in. Diesel price report from my towing friend. $4.21 for diesel around the corner from my work, and $4.56 on the NY Thruway.

·
48,722 Posts
This just in. Diesel price report from my towing friend. $4.21 for diesel around the corner from my work, and $4.56 on the NY Thruway.
Aye Caramba!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts