ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a wrx with an ej22 engine. 18 size turbo. 3 inch exhaust.

when i let my car set for like a couple hours or over night, it blows out blue smoke when i start it. it seems to me like the turbo is burning oil upon start up but i cant be sure. has anyone had this issue or heard about it?

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
You have an EJ22? Who did the engine build, how long ago was it, what heads were used, etc.?

A little more info would definitely help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know who made it but i know it was done in a performance shop specializing in subarus. but not a dealer it has sti heads on it and the engine has about 7000 miles on it

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Blue smoke equates to coolant, doesn't it? That could point to a number of different things.

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
Blue smoke equates to coolant, doesn't it? That could point to a number of different things.
Oil is blue. Coolant is white. Unburnt fuel is grey/black.

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
i dont know who made it but i know it was done in a performance shop specializing in subarus. but not a dealer it has sti heads on it and the engine has about 7000 miles on it
You might want to check on that. It's important to understand exactly what was done to the car. STi heads (2.5L heads) are incorrectly matched to the 2.2L block. Machined EJ205 heads are the best matched. Furthermore, STi heads should have AVCS oil feeds. Do the heads have AVCS plugs?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Oil consumption between changes?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Blue smoke at startup is very common in flat engines, especially when they've been allowed to sit for extended periods, so this may be perfectly normal. Are you having any problems with the car? Year/mods/mileage on the car? Maint history? Mileage since the mods?

Oil consumption between changes?
Your last post you deleted/edited was much better than this response! ;)

But yes OP how much oil is the car consuming (quarts per 1000 miles)?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
teflon_jones said:
Your last post you deleted/edited was much better than this response! ;)
If it wasn't a technical thread, I'd have kept it. Since it's not OT, I figured I needed to keep things more on-topic...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts