Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i blew my turbo tonight. Guess the VF-35 should not be run at 19psi.. Next Question: What next to do with my auto???? Vf-22??? Vf-23 ??? How much spool am i going to loose with a VF-22??? How much booste can i run with stock injectors on a vf-22?? So many questions, I really enjoyed the spoolup of the Vf-35, but the bottom line, not enough top end. Need somthing bigger that dosent lag me to death with my auto. Also, need opinions on running the car without a working turbo, how long can i use the car before i get a turbo?? It runsslow as hell with no booste, but am i really hurting anything?? it drivesfine, like riding in a honda civic lol....... What a night!

Rob

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My VF30 didn't like 17.5psi of boost for 5 days <500 miles. I'm beginning to think IHI turbos aren't all they're cracked up to be.

I've also been informed by a reputable source that IHI does not warranty their turbos AT ALL if installed by a third party.

I have a $750 paper weight. WONDERFUL.

Good luck on your quest for a new turbo, ROBPA...

:mad:

·
Registered
94 Posts
RobPA, are you Dark Baron on AIM? i'm Bob(beobe99)'s friend Tim (veedubaholicvr6).

Damn, sucks to hear you blow ur turbo.

I heard VF22 is safe to run 20psi, and VF23 is for auto?? but what do i know?? ...
:p

Keep us posted on what is going on w/ your car~! best of luck w/ it~!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about your turbo woes. That really, really bites...I'd hate to fork that kind of catch expecting awesome performance...get it for a short time, then have it taken away due to a failing part...argh!

I know Robpa posted some Q's, wish I could help. I just wanted to thank you and Is2scooby for sharing their turbo issues here. Most conversations go on and on about how great certain mods are...and it's just a matter of picking from a lot of great choices (*like you could do no wrong)...rarely do we get wind of problems.

robpa and is2Scooby, can you let us know what blown turbo symptoms are like? did it happen gradually, or all of a sudden?

Looking back, how do you guys think you would have done, different?

Thanks guys...this forum rocks cause we live, learn, and help others out.

dan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do not run any more than 18 psi on a vf22, or 17 psi on the lesser IHI turbo's. They WILL fail if pushed harder. Most common fault is shattered propellor fins.
Go garret cores. A solid Turbo.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Any drop-in Garrett core-based turbos you can suggest? I've got NO loyalty to IHI right about now. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
is2scooby said:
My VF30 didn't like 17.5psi of boost for 5 days <500 miles. I'm beginning to think IHI turbos aren't all they're cracked up to be.
I have a $750 paper weight. WONDERFUL.
:mad:
I've been running my turbo @ 17.5-18 for the past 3+ months and it has been fine. I do know if weather is cold and if I get any spikes above 18 the wastegate will start to leak boost. My only point is that you may have a faulty VF30 or even worse a counterfeit IHI. I've known quite a few people that bought counterfeit ones by mistake.

I do agree that the turbo is too small, I've already outgrown mine and I am ready to move on, too bad all the bolt on turbos cost upwards of 1500.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, you guys are really scaring me now. I've had my VF 34 in for about a month with no problems. I keep hearing these IHI turbo horror stories. But since that seems to be the most popular brand due to availabliity and price, i dont think we hear about other turbos as much. This still scares the [email protected] out of me though.
Seriously i had a nightmare last night of blowing smoke like is2scooby did, woke up heart pounding and everything. I think I will be backing the boost off from 18 psi to 17. It really runs much smoother at 18psi though. Maybe a better BOV will help surge at this boost level. I know i heard stock is good till about 18psi. I get a little occillation of boost pressure at high boost sometimes, i think the stock bov might be leaking some boost.

One reason i went with the VF 34 is that subaru uses it on stock STI's in Japan. I dont think subaru would go with an unreliable or unproven turbo. I guess there will just always be anomilies with installation, mods, tuning, and driving. There are some bad turbos that get throguh QA/QC as we've seen.

·
2,210 Posts
With the amount of IHI turbos in circulation, it is inevitable that there will be some failures. Don't forget that Subaru have fitted most of these units to various models over the years. The VF35 is a new unit, and is one of the smaller IHI turbos. Rob's experience might actually be quite telling of what may happen over time when pushing these turbos way outside of their efficient operating range.

The VF30 is an extremely robust unit and I think Richard just got very very unlucky with his. There have been rumors of reconditioned units sold under the pretense of being 'new', so that's also a possibility in his case. Personally, I have been running a VF22 for about 8,000 miles at 20psi+ with no problems whatsoever. Before that I ran a VF30 for about 6,000 miles and that unit is now running strong on my buddy's car.

Kinda OT, but I believe that any and all vehicles with oil-fed turbochargers should only be run on synthetic oils once outside of the 'break-in' period. Your turbo will thank you for it. I drive my car hard. When I change the oil at 3,000 miles it looks as clean as the day it went in. I have over 25,000 miles on my WRX.

-Pace

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ordered my Garrett 18g boloton. Will have it 2 days after christmas, guess im running naturally aspirated for a few days! F- IHI turbos ;)

Rob

·
2,210 Posts
RobPA said:
Just ordered my Garrett 18g boloton. Will have it 2 days after christmas, guess im running naturally aspirated for a few days! F- IHI turbos ;)

Rob
Thats quite a change from the VF35 for a man that wanted qiock spool-up!!

Just curious: Where from, and how much $$ ?

-Pace

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
pace said:
...The VF30 is an extremely robust unit and I think Richard just got very very unlucky with his...

Pace,

I agree with you on this one. I'm not trying to say that all IHI turbos are of questionable quality and that no one should buy one (no more nightmare jrod! :D) but I'm once bitten twice shy at this point.

...Kinda OT, but I believe that any and all vehicles with oil-fed turbochargers should only be run on synthetic oils once outside of the 'break-in' period.
Just a thought here, but did anyone else break in their turbos on synthetic oil? My car had 8200 miles on it (5200 of those running on Royal Purple 10w30) when I put the VF30 on. (I did NOT change back to dino oil at the time of turbo installation). I put 500 miles on the turbo at low boost, made 5-6 full bore 17.5psi pulls on the freeway and the next day it was puff-puff-pass. :( Does a turbo need to be broken in on a petroleum based lubricant?

·
Registered
376 Posts
is2scooby said:

Pace,

I agree with you on this one. I'm not trying to say that all IHI turbos are of questionable quality and that no one should buy one (no more nightmare jrod! :D) but I'm once bitten twice shy at this point.

Just a thought here, but did anyone else break in their turbos on synthetic oil? My car had 8200 miles on it (5200 of those running on Royal Purple 10w30) when I put the VF30 on. (I did NOT change back to dino oil at the time of turbo installation). I put 500 miles on the turbo at low boost, made 5-6 full bore 17.5psi pulls on the freeway and the next day it was puff-puff-pass. :( Does a turbo need to be broken in on a petroleum based lubricant?
Is2scooby- So since you said you are stuck with a dead paperweight- that means you lost the money and are not getting a new turbo from you vender? That sucks.

·
2,210 Posts
is2scooby said:

I'm not a big fan of so called 'break-in' procedures. After taking it easy for about 30 minutes or so to ascertain that the installation was successful, I then ran my VF22 at 'full bore' (18-20psi). It has ran on synthetic oil since the day it was fitted.

-Pace

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
BamBooI said:

Is2scooby- So since you said you are stuck with a dead paperweight- that means you lost the money and are not getting a new turbo from you vender? That sucks.
The jury is still out... I'm waiting for my vendor to get back to me about what he can do. *crosses fingers*

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 08/2002 STI (265hp) over here in europe. I had some troubles with the car. the car won't build up boost below 4000 rpm after 4000 rpm I missed some hp and torque figures. after seraching many hours I found something realy amazing. the coating of my wastegate valve beginns to remove, infact of this the valve leakes even more. subaru told me that there are several other turbos that the coating removes on the propellor housing. I heard that there are 2 diffrent turbo qualities on the market with 2 diffrent prices. I got now a factory vf 35 in warranty from subaru, this turbo is amazing. I have 19 psi at 3400 rpm at lower gears and it holds till redline at 7400 rpm.
we have many freaks over here they run for months/years the ihi turbos up to 28 psi of boost without any problems.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Interesting! Glad to hear that you got your problem sorted out. 265hp from the factory? What a lucky guy you are! :D

I'm still toodling around with the stocker on a Stage 4 TXS unichip map. Feels okay, but I'm afraid to push it. :(

Sigh...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I really feel that Rob pushed his turbo too far and did so with too fews miles on the turbo. I could've told him not to run 19psi, but he never asked. I'm installing yet another turbo in Rob's car. *shrug* I can use the work. I believe I advised him not to run more than 17psi and he was setting down to 16psi on the bottle.

Remember Rob, it's not BOOST it's FLOW. Above a certain point, all you are doing is making HEAT.

-Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
can i run 19psi with the vf-34, please please please please ??? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts