Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if I'm one of the first WRX owners to blow/fry their turbo with a completely stock engine? Anyone else had there turbo go yet too?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
AFAIK, you're the first. Bummer, dude! Details?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprisingly, I was just getting on the freeway and accelerating moderately to get around some slow poke in the right lane. I was probably only doing 65mph with the engine at 3500rpm when all of a sudden the tranny unexpectantly downshifts (good ol' AT) to 2nd or 3rd and the turbo starts to moan like a cat in heat. :mad: I immediately drove it to the dealer and they called the next day to let me the turbo is toast and will need to be replaced. They have no idea why it failed. :confused: Good thing it's a warranty item...

The strange thing is that I don't drive the car hard. Every once in awhile I jump on a bit to get around people on the freeway or to play a bit on the back country roads. It must be manufacturing defect. I just hope it doesn't happen to others. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
Maybe you should drive it harder next time. Thank God for warranties. I'm guessing just a faulty turbo from the factory. Good luck!:)
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
a spontaneous downshift from 3rd to 2nd??? how in the hell could that've happend? dayam! i'm startin' to worry for those w/ AT wrx's. i hope this isn't a problem inherent to all the AT cars, cause we'd have a bunch of wrxs on the side of the road if that were true

btw - glad its under warrenty repair - i coudlnt imagine having to pay to fix a blown turbo...so many parts to replace, so much labor...so much money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Warranty's rule! I'm glad it's covered. That sucks. Has anyone heard of any blown turbos with a manual?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
Penguinking said:
a spontaneous downshift from 3rd to 2nd??? how in the hell could that've happend? dayam! i'm startin' to worry for those w/ AT wrx's. i hope this isn't a problem inherent to all the AT cars, cause we'd have a bunch of wrxs on the side of the road if that were true

btw - glad its under warrenty repair - i coudlnt imagine having to pay to fix a blown turbo...so many parts to replace, so much labor...so much money
I've had it downshift from 4th to 3rd at around 65 but not 3rd to 2nd...it better not be an AT thing or else I'm going to be a little upset! heh
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
Newsflash: Without warning, WRX's across the country began crashing due to a glitch in the automatic transmission, causeing the car to downshift into too low a gear and blow the turbo! :eek:

don't you now have that warm fuzzy feeling if you're one of the lucky ones that drives a 5MT?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
Penguinking said:
Newsflash: Without warning, WRX's across the country began crashing due to a glitch in the automatic transmission, causeing the car to downshift into too low a gear and blow the turbo! :eek:

don't you now have that warm fuzzy feeling if you're one of the lucky ones that drives a 5MT?
LOL :D

I have enough MT envy...I didn't need that! :cool: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
Verdugo said:


LOL :D

I have enough MT envy...I didn't need that! :cool: ;)
Perhaps you are experiencing a little Freudian-type thing here?:D
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
lol


yeah, i'm glad blown turbos are under warrenty repair. otherwise you'd be looking at a pretty "god"-awful situation :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
WRXed said:


Perhaps you are experiencing a little Freudian-type thing here?:D
LOL that's why I used "MT" instead of "stick" LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Guys, relax. This was obviously a faulty turbo. I don't think it has anything to do with the automatic transmission. The sudden change in engine speed from the downshift was too much stress for the turbo, which had material or manufacturing faults, and it failed. No big deal and it could've happened to ANY OF US, including the 5MTers!

-Jim
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Guys, relax. This was obviously a faulty turbo. I don't think it has anything to do with the automatic transmission. The sudden change in engine speed from the downshift was too much stress for the turbo, which had material or manufacturing faults, and it failed. No big deal and it could've happened to ANY OF US, including the 5MTers!

-Jim
um...perhaps you missed the intense sarcasm in my post




Newsflash: Without warning, WRX's across the country began crashing due to a glitch in the automatic transmission, causeing the car to downshift into too low a gear and blow the turbo!
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
So what do you guys have to say if i'm going to be buying a WRX for the first time ever, and I would love to buy the Manual transmission, but i found an automatic for a price i can't pass up?

Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top