Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago coming home form going out I raced a car and did nothing different then I always do only this time I had my Cobb reflash. The next day my car started smoking (Whitish blue) a little more then normal and it smells like gas. Is there any way I could have blown my turbo or is it just crappy oil (mobil 1 Syn)? The temp has dropped as of late but nothing extreme. It was just a third to a little into fifth race. I allowed for proper cool down that night and my egts seemed normal. My buddies seem to think its do to my lack of back pressure in my exhaust setup. I believe its my fuel pump and the fact the ecu is trying to control it? Any info would be great to make me stop worring my car. It only has 19000 miles and I know I baby it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they knew what I had to begin with and they said it was ok. They do offer a boost pill that pushes boost higher with a little more spike. So maybe I'm just not boosting enough to burn the fuel. Before the cobb I had a SBC set at 15.3 and it never smoked not even at the track. I installed one step colder plugs to prevent damage and cobb said that was good so now I'm just thinking of all sorts of bad things. My last option is the dealer and for sure everything has to come off, or I could just get a bigger turbo and some injectors?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, I would at least verify that it is the turbo that is gone rather then the engine. If it is the turbo, you could always goes with a Cobb Stage 2.5 and get either a VF30 or VF34. You would need the STI injectors with this set up. I don't believe Cobb offers that boost pill any more as it just caused nothing but problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long does the whiteish blue smoke last? Have someone follow you around for about a half hour of highway driving. Cruise at low RPMs with no boost and see what happens then run it at full boost for a couple of seconds. If the amount doesn't change drasticly than I don't think you have a blown turbo. I have blown two turbos in my life and both had different symptoms.

If you are pumping out blue smoke ALL the time it could be that the bearing seals are gone. Check your oil, if you are starting to loose oil more quickly and it's looking black as the heart of Satan that would appear to be the problem.

Does the turbo sound the same? Any high pitched whineing / scraping / grinding? Than the problem may be even worse.

I would be suprised if your turbo is damaged. 1 bar, even run at long intervals, shouldn't do much to a TD04. I've know people who run 18lbs+ on those for years and have no problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mostly see the smoke on idle and once you start in first. I called cobb and they told me the same thing you said drive on the highway with a friend behind me, and to drive upto 5000 rpm and then engine break, if smoke comes shooting out then they said it could most likely be my valves. Thanks for you help guys I'll have to try everything to try and fix my ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well there is a leak in my oil pressure sender unit and has been spraying my oil all over the place. I bet its from not putting teflon tape on the fittings. I'll never take it to my local shop. Hopefully I stopped the damage before my engine got hurt. I never ripped on the car since I stared seeing the smoke. At least there a glimmer of hope for some happiness. My brand new rota tarmacs in gold. Now all I have to do is get some tires and mount them.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well its 11:00pm here in miami and I just checked my oil level and thank God its still pretty high above the low level, just under the top hole in the dip stick. Hopefully the engine didn't take that much abuse. Man was I happy to see a blob of oil at the end of the stick:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts