Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last night I was driving my WRX with the stage 4 unichip installed along with all my mods below, before I installed the unichip I had everything else installed, test drove it and everything was fine, then I installed TurboXS stage 4 unichip...DANM it ran rough as hell from the start, studdering the boost, going slow at WOT bogging down and all and even backfiring sa usual but more often than a clean note, ALL AFTER THE UNICHIP!!! I'm driving down the road in 3rd around 65-75 mph and then one loud BOOOOOOOOOM.... my car starts backfiring like crazy, studdering and shuddering like a cold eskimo and running like s***. I immediatly pull over into a parking lot, and what do I see??? White smoke pouring out the tailpipe, oil under the hood, all over the drivers side of the engine (only) as well as comming out the tailpipe THICK!! When I tried to get out of the parking space I was in I put it in reverse pushed the gas in a little and Brreewwwnn, the engine died. I would start it up and let it idle and look under the hood to see where the oil was comming from, still couldn't tell.... the engine dies on its' own in IDLE!! Forget it, called the Subaru roadside assistance and had it towwed today to the dealership. My guess is a head gasket blew under 16 pounds of boost, I was about to turn it up to 18 p.s.i. after I had let the fuel re-map from the unichip install, guess not now. So I'm probobly going to have some major warranty issues now, and I am about to get into it (hopefully not) with Turbo XS for giving me a defective product that ruined my car, or is it a factory mess up?? Let me know what you guys think about all this...:confused:

·
2,210 Posts
Contact TurboXS before you form any conclusions; at this point ANY speculation on our part would be just that. I'm guessing you won't get a warm reception from your dealership, given that the vehicle is stage-4 modded. FWIW, you have my deepest sympathy.

Question: Is this a Unichip that you had remapped (from say, Stage-2) that was previously running ok, OR did you just now acquire it from TurboXS with the Stage-4 map?

Well, I have to head out. Right now my neighborhood is being evacuated because we have yet another forest fire. This one is now only a mile from my house.

-Pace :(

·
895 Posts
wow, thats one big mess you're in :(

why didn't you stop driving the car after you installed the unichip if it was running badly? i doubt its the chip thats the problem, it was probly just mapped incorrectly.

i think part of the problem is the low # of miles you got on your car. running such a high performance system so early in its life is gonna be bad for it. thats why i don't think you should blame turboxs for the problem. i'd send the chip back to them to have them check how it was mapped.

warrenty issues: oh geeez....w/ a stage 4 you've got a really fast and modded car, but its all about the dealer and how nice they are to modified cars.

sorry about the car man, that really sucks to have a problem like that. i'm sure you'll be able to work out a solution w/ the dealer.

-Robert

·
Registered
153 Posts
dude, man, good luck. what do the parents have to say about all this?

again, good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dang, koyo, that's kind of messed up- no need to state the obvious, and rub it in. that's just my opinion.

mr. cannonracing, let us know what happens.

marcus

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also curious if this was a new chip or a remap. I am sending mine in for a remap to stage 4 tomorrow, so this is a little concering to me.

When did you install all the rest of the stuff? Hopfully you had the unichip when you installed the injectors, I was told by TurboXS and others not to install the injectors till I had the stage 4 map or some other engine management, definitly not off the stock ECU alone.

Hope every thing works out.

Troy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dude... that sounds like a mess....

Don't know what to say..... other than get ready for your dealer to refuse warranty coverage. Injectors, catless, piggyback engine management (unless you un plugged it before it got towed) ...

I don't know... if you have a really cool dealer... great... otherwise..... who knows what it's going to cost.

I would try calling Mark at TurboXS, unfortunately, it would have been better to do that the moment it was running like crap (when you first installed it)

Sorry about your troubles dude.

Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to be an ass but after reading you profile and seeing the "Jobless but never broke" and "College sounds good" comments I am guessing you are still at home with ma and pa.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So basically what your saying is that:

1. Your car is severly modded (bigger turbo etc) and not running any additional fuel ignition control.
2. You added a UNICHIP with a fuel and ignition map that wasn't specifically dyno'd for your specific setup of modifications.
3. The car run like absolute **** and studdered backfired and run like crap.
4. So instead of removing the unichip you then drove the car at WOT near redline in 3rd!!!!!

Seriously weren't some alarm bells ringing when you added the UNICHIP and everthing went to sheit?
Didn't logic kick in to either pull the UNICHIP or not drive the car hard ie not WOT etc?

I seriously think you'll find yourself SOL with SOA.

And somehow I doubt TurboXS will warrant your claim.

No offence but sometimes a bit of common sense goes a long way.

Antony

·
Registered
34 Posts
AntMan said:
So basically what your saying is that:

1. Your car is severly modded (bigger turbo etc) and not running any additional fuel ignition control.
2. You added a UNICHIP with a fuel and ignition map that was specifically dyno'd for your specific setup of modifications.
3. The car run like absolute **** and studdered backfired and run like crap.
4. So instead of removing the unichip you then drove the car at WOT near redline in 3rd!!!!!

Seriously weren't some alarm bells ringing when you added the UNICHIP and everthing went to sheit?
Didn't logic kick in to either pull the UNICHIP or not drive the car hard ie not WOT etc?

I seriously think you'll find yourself SOL with SOA.

And somehow I doubt TurboXS will warrant your claim.

No offence but sometimes a bit of common sense goes a long way.

Antony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay first of all, 3rd gear going 65-75 is not redline, and my car was no where near redline, in fact I was decelerating when it happened. 2nd, The car would run fine unless I tried to go faster, as in mashing the gas, studder to me means it would hold back not jump up and down on the rpm band. It was like hitting a performace wall and it would bog down. The chip was bought at stage 4 and not re-mapped just to let you curious people know. Oh and I DID unplug the unichip to take to TurboXS this week and have them look at it, those chips ARE NOT without fault, as a matter of fact when I bought my stage 4 I saw a box filled with them labeled "BAD UNICHIPS", I remember this to clear because I also got word from Vivid when inquiring about part prices that the UNICHIP was a good way to blow your engine. I'm not laying blame but **** happens, and the chip could be at fualt, or the vehicle was goign to do that anyway. I know logic should come into play when the car runs rough but this was SATURDAY, I couldn't call turbo xs and the unichip instructions stated that the car would run rough for 2 days or so. I mean how rough is ROUGH?? :confused: So I did unplug the Unichip before it was towwed to the dealership *SHHHHHH* as well as the ABC, but guess what, when I checked the boost levels of the ABC 5 minutes after posting the first time, it was CLOSED!! I was running STOCK BOOST!!! That is too safe not to be my problem, everyone knows its volume of air pressure that matters. People like Pace and God run some pretty gruesome set-ups like mine *god's is a whee bit larger* and didn't expeiriance the same problems, all I can own it up to is a faulty gasket or a BAD UNICHIP. As for my warranty, I know my rights, got em in righting from SOA and SEMA, as well as a law firm. Oh and ***ROYBFR***
I do not live at home with MA and PA, I work when I need to save an a$$ of money and then live off it, my girlfriend and I have a place together, and college sounds good means I am getting an education, not that I am confused about what I want to do, i know you didn't mean to offend me right;). Anyway, I pretty much covered my a$$ the moment things got started, removing th eunichip and the boost controller. I left the injectors, but I didn't have time to take them out before the tow truck came. So when the dealership fixes the car (under warranty I'll be willing to wager) I'll make SURE that they don't go test drive happy, otherwise any problems they add on to the car at the shop are thier fault. I love SOA, but dealerships are not SOA, they are SOB's sometimes, just trying to make a buck, save the working man. As for getting legally tangled, my girl is a legal assistant at the 3rd largest law firm in the U.S., :eek: I got it covered.... Anyone know the aftermath of a head gasket being blown? what else does that mess up? I can always wash out my intercooler and the turbo should be fine, the exhaust will burn up the excess oil and the intake should be fine, as well as the injectors. I think that once they get the car fixxed, I'm back on the road happy as ever. DOWN BUT NEVER OUT!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You have an aftermarket turbo, aftermarket TMIC, aftermarket CAI, aftermarket injectors, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket fuel pump, and aftermarket engine management.

I just can't see *any* dealership honoring *any* warranty claims you may try for... but best of luck to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I hope that all goes well. Hope that the layers at your girl friends law firm work for cheap, if you dealer is like most they will fight tooth an nail to fix this under warranty. I was not trying to bust on you just making an observation of your profile.

I would also take Vivids comments for a grain of salt, they are probably just pissed the are selling them as they are flying of the shelves. The bad batch is a pretty well know problem though I was under the impression that it had been taken care of.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mmmmmm so you've disconnected the UNICHIP and ABC.

Lucky the dealer won't even think to look to see if you are running a UNICHIP or the like considering you are running the following mods do you think its possible they might suspect a supplementary computer? I'd say the UNICHIP would be the least of your problems considering the following list of mods.

IHI VF30
MRT Top Mount
TurboXS stage 4 Unichip (16 psi)
Sti Injectors
Injen Race Division CAI
Perrin Uppipe
Turbo XS Catless Turbo exhaust
w/ 4" downpipe
Walbro-fuel pump

No offence but in Australia if you mod the hell out of your car, ie screw with the ECU, add a bigger turbo, change injectors, put in aftermarket fuel systems, put in a lower impedence intercooler, change the exhaust and up the boost etc basically adding stress to the motor and then your motor blows up I know what they'd be saying here ....

But hey you live in the US and I'm pretty sure the threat of a lawsuit will get you where you want to go.

Antony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said the only mods the dealership will see are the exhaust, intake, uppipe (maybe), injectors, intercooler and turbo. The turbo running factory boost shouldn't be a problem at all...the intercooler actually makes the car run safer (colder) as for intake and exhaust it's just anal for a dealership to start talking about that blowing a head gasket, the only thing that can cause that is factory failure or unichip programming, and since the unichip isn't in the car or the boost controller I'm not worried about those issues. Besides, any dealership is LEGALLY obligated to investigate what caused the failure....and in the process, they can fix it, if I have to pay for it I will fight it (wouldn't you if this happened to you), and if I have to pay for it, I got the $$, but want to avoid paying at all costs, I think that would be everybodys first choice. Thanks to all those being sympathetic and humane about this, it makes me feel better...:p As for my girls lawfirm, they have always offered to help my girl and I out in every legal matter we have had, law firms are like that, they trade favors (not those favors)....And to the Aussie, you are right, what company wants to spend 10k in a lawsuit as opposed to the cost of fixing the vehicle.... Australia huh, danm i wish I had a plane ticket and my board:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah but you need to understand that all these modifications caused a major change in engine running conditions.

You can't deny that fact.

They may or may not have resulted in your engine failure thats yet to be determined.

Yes they are obligated to pull the motor down and diagnose the failure. Sounds like you've blown the head gasket. If they determine its not a production fault they hand you a big $$$ invoice for the investigation and say bad luck and then you have to pay to get it fixed and hopefully if its only a head gasket it should be too bad!

If the UNICHIP caused the problem and you get Subaru to repair your car under warranty then you are actually defrauding SOA.

And basically pushing up the sale price or servicing price of vehicles for everyone else. They have to get their money back from somewhere.

I'm pretty much guessing that most off the shelf piggyback ECU suppliers supply a disclaimer to avoid lawsuits for consequental damage.

Seriously next time you do this sort of modification and get a UNICHIP piggyback computer how about taking the little lady away for a holiday for the weekend that just so happens to be near somewhere where they can dyno tune your car properly and avoid such problems in the future!!!

Threats of lawsuits in Australia don't get you far at all. Seems like everyone is taking everyone to court in the US for so many petty things (Not saying yours is petty though!!!).

Cheers
Antony

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to work at Central Subaru in Texas, I have talked alot with the techs about this issue of mods and warranty claims, they will not warranty it, none, I worked there and the only reason they would even look at the car when I blew my y pipe because of overboost(long story) is because I am friends with the owner and I help them out with refferals and aftermarket stuff now that I have my own business. Also the tech risks his certification if he claims something under warranty that is caused by aftermarket parts, modding, etc. Any compentant CERTIFIED tech WILL notice the injectors, turbo, etc. They are not blind. and if its a Subaru Dealership they work on Subarus day in, day out, they can tell the difference. Hell we had a customer come in with real bad blow by on his WRX, looked completly stock, WAS completly stock when it came to the dealer on a flatbed. The tech broke it down (engine) and saw the inside of the cylinder walls looked like they were marred and the damn thing had square pistons! He knew just by looking at that that the customer HAD mods on his car, ended up when he confronted the customer he admitted he had Nitrous. and the tech knew that type of damage was caused by running to lean. In your case, when they pull off the manifold(Which they will cause I think you blew your head gasket and possibly detonated to the point on internal damages, bent crank, etc)Cuase subaru engines WILL hold together under these cicumstances, at least most I have seen.Anyways you SOL, sue all you want, and trust me it sucks but dont think your the first one to complain and under the same situation.and SOA will win, so I would just Go to CObb tuning with my blown engine and have them do a 2.5 conversion for what you are going to pay to get your car running again. remember this YOU PLAY YOU PAY.
Sorry:(

·
Registered
34 Posts
BTW if you run stock computer with STI injectors you car will run pig rich and hardly go at all, also if you had oil comming out your tailpipe your cats are ruined cant wash that out since the chemical reaction with the oil and the platinum in the cat = no good. Unlless your running full synthetic then you MIGHT be OK, also your turbo took a beating when it sucked all that oil and coolant thru it, particles may have damaged the blades. your plugs are fukked, itake is probbably full of oil too. could be worse:eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know I know, if it was my failure I will take full responsibility for it and pay for the head gasket, I don't think the crank and all that is messed up just the head gasket, after I removed the unichip, the car would actually run and move ( I drove it for about 30 yards to check), stupid but I was curious. If it is just the head gasket, then that's not too much money. As for lawsuits, don't get me wrong, that's the last thing I want to happen... I don't haev time for that shtuff, and as for the unichip having disclaimers.... I CAN'T FIND NOT ONE!!! Looked on my reciept, on the website, even on the instructions. And even with the mods, think about this, how is it Pace is running the same set-up as me, maybe not the intake and his engine is fine, I think it all leads back to the unichip.....I definately won't get hasty in these things like getting down MArk or Phils throat, I love those guys, they are good people. I want to know the cause more than anything else, if it was a bad unichip shouldn't they help out a little? If it was factory failure, they danm better help out (SUBARU). REX IN EFEX, I have a completely Catless system so no problem there, as for plugs, in the big scheme they are not expensive at all. The trubo only took the beating for about 1 minute so it should be okay, and if the car runs pig rich it will only do it for 1 minute when I pull out of the parking lot of Subaru into the wendy's next door to put on a new Unichip that i'll get from TurboXS this week. I'll be back up and running in no time hopefully. Oh and here's a little peice of mind. If subaru decided not to warrant my claim, they will be in one hell of a bad situation. They still have not cashed my down paymetn check of 10k, I'll stop payment on the check, then what??? They reposes a screwwed up car??? Go ahead, by that time, I'll have had the car triple A'd to my house, the car they will get will be back to stock overnight, I'll have removed everything that I put on and away goes the bad vehicle. I lose nothing at all...Good plan, bad manners, but I paid for a stock Wrx, if I decided to fault on my payment I can walk away clean and clear with all my parts and money. They can take me to court but my defense is warranty denial. And unless they have the whole service write up in writing, I win in court. Moraly, it's wrong, but I'm not nice when it comes to 10k dollars. If this does happen, look for all my parts on either ebay or here on this forum.........I'll sell em for a good price.:D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.