Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My powerplant is as stock as they come for my WRX. My friends tell me that a blow off valve my help me out on turbo lag, but i'm worried about my engine reliability. If there is any feed back oyu guys can give I would appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
blow off valves do nothing for performance so if youre getting one dont worry about seeing any increase in acceleration

heres a cheap way to make your wrx run like something totally different

put in a godspeed up pipe and a manual boost controller set to 15.5lbs and you wont believe it....about 300 bucks and about 8 hours of labor and your rippin!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
i have to disagree...

i saw a difference in lag time with a 50/50 valve.

you won't see HUGE power inscreases, but if you're driving rally-style rather than "floor it and go" style you'll see a difference every time you get off the gas to make a turn and hit it again.

not a HUGE difference, but its there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Blitz is a very good choice. Can you get me a good deal on one also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
slin02 said:
personal opinion: "STOCK"
Quiet, stealthy, Fast is my goal. So for me no BOV, that 300 have been spend on a Godspeed uppie :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I've ran the car with just a BOV, and also just the up-pipe. The BOV may reduce lag time, but the up-pipe eliminates it :)

Otherwise, I thought my car ran crappier with it.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
WRXrumble said:


Quiet, stealthy, Fast is my goal. So for me no BOV, that 300 have been spend on a Godspeed uppie :D
yep, a sleeper wrx is my goal. something that can whup up on vipers and vettes but yet still have a passive look on the outside - underneath the hood, an engine that sits like a loaded gun :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
So how does an upgraded BOV decrease lag?? Does it have a stronger spring to make it close faster?? Also, does the stock BOV leak above a certain PSI???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
hokieitr said:
I've ran the car with just a BOV, and also just the up-pipe. The BOV may reduce lag time, but the up-pipe eliminates it :)

Otherwise, I thought my car ran crappier with it.
Thanks you :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
i think it opens faster, stays open longer, and has a bigger outlet. The idea being that when you're off the throttle the less pressure in the intake the less back pressure you have going to the turbo to slow it back down before the valve opens. So opening the valve as early as possoble dumps the pressure, staying open keeps it from building back up, and closing as soon as you're back on the throttle lets the turbo free-spin faster. I think the stock BOV starts leaking at 20 psi or so....most aftermarket valves are good for about 100 psi.

I'm also trying to keep a "sleeper car"...and the GFB valve is VERY quiet when set 50/50....at WOT, the motor noise almost drowns it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
i have run the gfb and the hks, and now i'm back to stock. didn't feel my car was running right with either one, and the flutter from the hks was frightful. wish i had spent the money on a gauge or something. but i do miss the sound of that hks!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
yeah, u gotta watch ur A/F when u put an aftermarket bov in. ppl say you'll see the mixture run rich when the bov opens ( cause it vents to atmosphere whereas stock reciruclates, so the MAF thinks theres less air when there really isnt, so it adds unneccessary fuel, making it run rich...

i think thats the right explaination...someone correct me where i'm wrong :rolleyes:

-Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Penguinking said:
yeah, u gotta watch ur A/F when u put an aftermarket bov in. ppl say you'll see the mixture run rich when the bov opens ( cause it vents to atmosphere whereas stock reciruclates, so the MAF thinks theres less air when there really isnt, so it adds unneccessary fuel, making it run rich...

i think thats the right explaination...someone correct me where i'm wrong :rolleyes:

-Robert
Pk,

Just as a clarification. 100% atm BOVs will almost certainly make the car run rich immediately after a throttle lift, but 50/50 will only allow the engine to run slightly rich since they only vent to atm the air that the intake recirc can't accept (depending on adjustment).

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I just took my GFB BOV off yesterday and I have to tell you even though I miss the sound, I like it much better with the stock BOV on. With the GFB I would get hesitation between shifts, now the shifts are quick and smooth. As for the stock bov leaking, Phil from Turboxs says the stock one was tested by them up to 23psi and held strong. He also said the car will run much better with the stock bov and the only reason to get an aftermarket bov would be for sound. That told me alot coming from a place that makes money on selling aftermarket bov's.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:


Pk,

Just as a clarification. 100% atm BOVs will almost certainly make the car run rich immediately after a throttle lift, but 50/50 will only allow the engine to run slightly rich since they only vent to atm the air that the intake recirc can't accept (depending on adjustment).

-Jim
oh right, i forgot to mention the 50/50 vs 100% thing. that can have a sig effect on the A/F depending on how much is (if any) reciruclating back.

thx plat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
i've had mine in for a few weeks now (50/50) still getting no hesitation, or any other performance-robbing effects...the car started to get a little sluggish about a week ago, but I washed my K&N and I was back to normal. *shrugs* I don't know why people are saying it'll screw up your car's performance...mine works just fine....
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top