Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Greddy oil catch tank which comes with generic installation instructions. Has anyone installed one who is willing to share some pointers. Mounting would be a particular interest.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BUMP

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have also purchased one, but have yet to install it. After some searching around, it seems that one of the only places to fit the can is behind the drivers side headlight, by the battery (unless you've got a FMIC or no cruise control). Someone else rec'd that spot, and it seems to fit nicely. As far as plumbing, I've read a ton about how to do it and don't quite "get-it" yet, so it's sitting in my closet still :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a Greddy fmic and installed where the factory boost solenoid was. I have seen in installed behind the drivers side headlight too.

:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Install on top of the ABS pump if you no longer have the oem duct there. You'll have to fab up a simple bracket to mount to the brake lines on top.

It's convenient for running the catch hoses too. I'll try and post pics later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any picture of this install I need help with my Greddy oil catch tank with FMIC Greddy.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Where's the cheapest place to pick up the GReddy catchcan?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I also put mine where the factory intake duct was. Ill take a pic soon as i find my digital camera.

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

I don't have any pics, but I can describe how I did it pretty well. First think I did, was I got 20 feet of 1/2 inch rubber tubing at home depot, and got two T connectors for it. I just did that cause I didn't like the tubing that came with the can and I they didn't supply enough since I wanted to get rid of the metal tube on the intercooler.

Ok first thing is you have to find the two places on the engine that the air is coming out of. The first one is easy, it's the tube that is attached to the right side of the metal tube on your intercooler. Just pull it off, and attach a T connector there(you can shorten the tube a little if you want). The other air connection comes from the engine right between the compressor housing of the turbo and the engine. One tube goes back to the engine and one goes to the turbo inlet pipe.

The cleanest way to do the install is to take your indercooler off, remover the old tube connecting to the turbo inlet pipe and connect the new tube to it. YOu can just use a connector to connect the old hose to the new, but I like a clean job. When you do this, you must plug up the whole on the turbo inlet pipe since nothing is there anymore. I did that by taking a piece of the old hose, filling one side with glue and putting it back on the turbo inlet pipe. Now, the hose that you connectet to the spot near the turbo has to be routed to the T fitting that you put on the right side of the indercooler, and then routed to the catch can(those are where to air comes from).

Now, it would be easy to route the return line to the right side of the metal tube on the intercooler and the installation is done. I don't like that metal piece though, so I took off the metal tube, connected a the other T conncection to the two rubber tubes that were connecting to the left side of the metal tube, and routed a The return line to it.

I put my oil catch can between the battery and the front of the car and mounted it by welding it to a piece of metal, then screwing the metal to the car. The return line and the line that comes from the left side of the engine are tied together and right in from of the intercooler. Then they come to the T and go to the front of the car where the oil catch can is.

It sounds harder than it is. The hardest thing was mounting the can:).

peace

·
Registered
72 Posts
hippy78 Thanks for your post but I need visual pics......

CKxx I will be waiting for the pics thank you.......

The big Q is were to put it with Greddy front mount intercooler.??

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I hope this help you understand the aformentioned placement, or at least an idea of what you could do.

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

don't you think it would work better mounted virtically? I thought my directions were pretty good:), do you really need pics?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Note: my pics came w/the disclaimer that they were simply for an idea of what you COULD do, if you wanted.

Also, i think this is how Si2WRX was saying he set his up.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Filters out oil that would normally be routed back into the intake tract. Turbo cars are known to have alot of oil blow-by as compaired to NA cars so it helps keep oil out of your intake and more importantly intercooler, which i think would pay off in time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.