ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what the EJ20 could handle in terms of hp without changing anything. also, what are the weak points in the engine? rods, pistons, heads?

Say I want to get 400 hp out of the car, what would I have to upgrade in the engine to be able to handle that much power?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have access to an sti 6 speed so I'm not really all that worried about the transmission. Although i would like to know what kind of power levels the stock block, rods, pistons and all can handle.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
with a proper tune & consistent quality fuel 350whp is no problem. I'm currently setting at 370whp on meth injection. Stock tranny gears, stock EJ205, yes, my car is an exception.

The pistons & the rods are the weak spot, the block could probably handle +400whp daily w/o much issue.

this is my 93 octane map vs. my 93+meth injection map, both @ 24psi of boost.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with a proper tune & consistent quality fuel 350whp is no problem. I'm currently setting at 370whp on meth injection. Stock tranny gears, stock EJ205, yes, my car is an exception.

The pistons & the rods are the weak spot, the block could probably handle +400whp daily w/o much issue.

this is my 93 octane map vs. my 93+meth injection map, both @ 24psi of boost.
Any idea stock pistons and rods can handle though? because If I'm making this car be that powerful I want to be able to do it without fear of destroying internals, and I would really like to get to 400 hp on this car. Also what are you using for timing advance and retard?

btw I haven't even gotten the car yet... I just like to make plans for the car before buying it, makes things easier.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Any idea stock pistons and rods can handle though? because If I'm making this car be that powerful I want to be able to do it without fear of destroying internals, and I would really like to get to 400 hp on this car. Also what are you using for timing advance and retard?

btw I haven't even gotten the car yet... I just like to make plans for the car before buying it, makes things easier.
honestly 400 hp on a stock EJ205 block is not very safe given that you would most likely be running 22 PSI or more to get those levels of hp. you maybe be able to run it for awhile hell you might get lucky and run it for more then 2 years but I honestly would feel safer knowing that i wont be shooting pistons at the car next to me on the free way. get your self a built 2.0 block or even go for a STi 2.5 block and love your power safely.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
Are you wanting 400chp(crank) or 400whp(wheel)? There's a big difference, 325-350whp(depending on the dyno) is ~400chp.

'Properly tuned' the stock rods & pistons can handle 325whp-350whp w/o any issues.

I use Enginuity for tuning, it does much much more than just timing. Many use CobbAP BUT it'll end up costing you 10x more than Enginuity for a custom tune.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you wanting 400chp(crank) or 400whp(wheel)? There's a big difference, 325-350whp(depending on the dyno) is ~400chp.

'Properly tuned' the stock rods & pistons can handle 325whp-350whp w/o any issues.

I use Enginuity for tuning, it does much much more than just timing. Many use CobbAP BUT it'll end up costing you 10x more than Enginuity for a custom tune.
I would like to get 400 whp but I can settle for lower 300's whp til I get the money for a rebuild. btw with enginuity did you use any sort of egt datalogging system?

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
I would like to get 400 whp but I can settle for lower 300's whp til I get the money for a rebuild. btw with enginuity did you use any sort of egt datalogging system?
I have EGT gauge & Innovate LM-1 Wideband O2 sensor w/logger.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have EGT gauge & Innovate LM-1 Wideband O2 sensor w/logger.
Do you know if its possible to datalog 2 egt gauges with anything?
I'm planning on datalogging a/f with the JAW controller... it's a diy unit that costs $45 unassembled and $60 assembled. I'm thinking use two of those and use their software to datalog, and use a dual display a/f gauge. and a dual display egt gauge.

How easy is enginuity to use?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said before I like to figure out exactly what I'll be doing before I start.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
Do you know if its possible to datalog 2 egt gauges with anything?
I'm planning on datalogging a/f with the JAW controller... it's a diy unit that costs $45 unassembled and $60 assembled. I'm thinking use two of those and use their software to datalog, and use a dual display a/f gauge. and a dual display egt gauge.

How easy is enginuity to use?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said before I like to figure out exactly what I'll be doing before I start.
If you have tuned cars before Enginuity isn't too bad, but if you haven't ever tuned a car then I'd do lots of reading which is kinda hard to do right now since the www.enginuity.org site is down. There's alot of info on enginuity over on www.openecu.org & www.nasioc.com in the Engine Management forum.

PLX makes a system that will log EGT & AFR as well as a few other things.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have tuned cars before Enginuity isn't too bad, but if you haven't ever tuned a car then I'd do lots of reading which is kinda hard to do right now since the www.enginuity.org site is down. There's alot of info on enginuity over on www.openecu.org & www.nasioc.com in the Engine Management forum.

PLX makes a system that will log EGT & AFR as well as a few other things.
Actually I'm looking at enginuity right now and seeing it has a portion in the datalogger for egt... would this be usable at all?

Also, what would be more benificial a wideband a/f gauge or egt

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
I'd prefer not to chose between an accurate A/F and an EGT. Since you'll have things apart anyway, consider taking the extra time and little expense to fit both. You can really use the data from either gauge both during and after the process of setting fueling and timing curves. The cost of an extra gauge is a drop in the bucket at that point.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
Actually I'm looking at enginuity right now and seeing it has a portion in the datalogger for egt... would this be usable at all?

Also, what would be more benificial a wideband a/f gauge or egt
The stock EGT probe is junk. Not accurate for anything.

I'd prefer AFR over EGT, but BOTH if you can afford it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright then... well since I've got the car now I can figure out what I'm going to do, I'm thinking of getting a dash 3 gauge pod, putting my gauges I already have in there and put the a/f on the steering wheel mount along with like a shift light or something.

the car is running around 18.6 lbs of boost, new injectors, fuel pump, tune, cold air, 3 inch turboback exhuast, lower compression pistons, exedy stage 1 organic clutch and exedy flywheel, and right now has pillar gauges, oil pressure, boost and egt. It's a pretty fast damn car but I would like to put in a water methanol injection kit and tune it a bit more so I can have a couple different tunes. 1 for low octane (87) with water-meth injection, 1 for 91 octane, and one for 91-93 octane and water methanol injection.

sounds like a fun project eh?

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
i had 300whp on my old 2.0 before it went kapow

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here

I also blew around 300whp I slipped a Rod Bearing and ended up destroying my crank...sounded like a box of tools being dropped...well no sweat I replaced it with a built STi 2.5:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts