ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my wrx reaches its 15k mark, i must change the stock air filter. i thought about getting those short rams that were said to be "safe." however, doing some research, there are still people with problems with the "safe" intakes. searching on a different forum and the internet, i have come across the blitz induction cover.

http://www.fastwrx.com/blinco.html

Does anyone have more information on this item? Sine it retains half of the stock box, will the typical problems associated with short rams be alliviated? Can anyone see an improvement in performance in the item, I must some how justifiy its high cost for such a simple device. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
zojirushi said:
I must some how justifiy its high cost for such a simple device.
A quick glance tells me it could be made with some L-stock aluminum and chicken wire. I think one can only justify the cost as a martyring of dollars to the JDM gods.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh man I have to bring this back from the dead! I ran across this the other day and was wondering what was going on here. Does anyone actually have this thing?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother. When performance gains from a mod are so subtle that people actually have to argue over whether or not an intake actually makes any difference, that right there should tell you that the mod probably isn't worth it or the possible driveability problems that it may or may not introduce.

High flow intakes definately make a safe and usuallly noticable difference with naturally apsirated engines where the engine is breathing on it's own, however things tend to change with a turbocharged application. In a turbocharged scenario, the engine is no longer breathing on it's own, the turbo is effectively breathing for it, and for stock turbos and most medium-sized turbo upgrades, the turbo has no problem breathing through the stock intake and filter without restriction up to a fairly high level of horsepower.

I think your money can be better spent elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Eh,it's not hard to visualize.It just replaces the bottom of the airbox.I really wouldn't suggest doing it.It will draw the hot underhood air just like a short ram.A better mod is the resonator/snorkus delete.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Eh,it's not hard to visualize.It just replaces the bottom of the airbox.I really would suggest doing it.It will draw the hot underhood air just like a short ram.A better mod is the resonator/snorkus delete.
why not have both? the air will go str8 to the blitz cut out

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
why not have both? the air will go str8 to the blitz cut out
I don't think you quite understand.You can't have both.You would have to totally seal off the airbox from the engine bay in order to only receive ambient temp air.Kind of like what the K&N,SPT intake heatsheild and Cobb intake heatsheild try to do.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
A better mod is the resonator/snorkus delete.
I disagree. At least with the short ram, you have no concerns about rain.. but under wide open throttle, in a rain storm... or on wet streets.. you will more than likely get a wet air filter. There were a few articles on nasioc about this. And I'm sure you noticed (as I did) when you pulled out your snorkus that there were leaves, dirt, and moisture in there. All of that is going straight into the filter now because there is nothing keeping it from the filter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you quite understand.You can't have both.You would have to totally seal off the airbox from the engine bay in order to only receive ambient temp air.Kind of like what the K&N,SPT intake heatsheild and Cobb intake heatsheild try to do.
i get what your saying but the air should still go to the exposed blitz filter. it may not be as practical then the air box which retains the temp more but it will be cooler then having no snorkel or elbow at all

I disagree. At least with the short ram, you have no concerns about rain.. but under wide open throttle, in a rain storm... or on wet streets.. you will more than likely get a wet air filter. There were a few articles on nasioc about this. And I'm sure you noticed (as I did) when you pulled out your snorkus that there were leaves, dirt, and moisture in there. All of that is going straight into the filter now because there is nothing keeping it from the filter.
good info! i was also thinking if a perrin filter and elbow alone but so much for that idea.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i get what your saying but the air should still go to the exposed blitz filter. it may not be as practical then the air box which retains the temp more but it will be cooler then having no snorkel or elbow at all

good info! i was also thinking if a perrin filter and elbow alone but so much for that idea.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I disagree. At least with the short ram, you have no concerns about rain..
Tons of people have problems with short rams and rain.Mainly due to the hood and top of the inner fender not being sealed.Filter gets wet with the car not even moving.Not so much the "pod" type short rams like the APS,COBB or Turbo XS but the SPT and AEM's style do.
Sinister said:
but under wide open throttle, in a rain storm... or on wet streets.. you will more than likely get a wet air filter. There were a few articles on nasioc about this. And I'm sure you noticed (as I did) when you pulled out your snorkus that there were leaves, dirt, and moisture in there. All of that is going straight into the filter now because there is nothing keeping it from the filter.
All that gets into the snorkus because it goes through the front air duct.Now the air duct is not sealed and the airbox is not creating a negative pressure in the air duct.In fact it is not even creating a negative pressure anywhere else but inside the airbox.I don't get any of that in my air box after doing the delete.Now the airbox pulls from the fender not the front air duct.The people that do have problems are the ones who have damaged or removed their fenderwell liner.I know alot of people removed that liner to remove the snorkus and either didn't put it back or cracked trying to get to the snorkus.If you do it correctly there is no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
:confused: How do you figure that?The air in the fenderwell is ambeint.The air under the hood is not.The Blitz induction will always pull in warmer air than the stock airbox with the resonator deleted due to it pulling in air under the hood.With the resonator deleted the airbox pulls air from the fenderwell.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Tons of people have problems with short rams and rain.Mainly due to the hood and top of the inner fender not being sealed.Filter gets wet with the car not even moving.Not so much the "pod" type short rams like the APS,COBB or Turbo XS but the SPT and AEM's style do.
All that gets into the snorkus because it goes through the front air duct.Now the air duct is not sealed and the airbox is not creating a negative pressure in the air duct.In fact it is not even creating a negative pressure anywhere else but inside the airbox.I don't get any of that in my air box after doing the delete.Now the airbox pulls from the fender not the front air duct.The people that do have problems are the ones who have damaged or removed their fenderwell liner.I know alot of people removed that liner to remove the snorkus and either didn't put it back or cracked trying to get to the snorkus.If you do it correctly there is no problem.
Interestingly enough... since the filter it's self is 6" away from the crack between the hood and fender... I have had 0 water ingestion issues with my K&N SRI.. whether it's driving in severe rain storms, or heavy snows sitting on top of my car and melting

As far as the water ingestion with a snorkus delete... I was referring to people that use the GPMoto Snorkus Delete Intake Elbow. I should've specified. I think the intake elbow is dangerous, and directs a lot of things into a pretty scary place.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Interestingly enough... since the filter it's self is 6" away from the crack between the hood and fender... I have had 0 water ingestion issues with my K&N SRI.. whether it's driving in severe rain storms, or heavy snows sitting on top of my car and melting

As far as the water ingestion with a snorkus delete... I was referring to people that use the GPMoto Snorkus Delete Intake Elbow. I should've specified. I think the intake elbow is dangerous, and directs a lot of things into a pretty scary place.
Yeah the GP Moto elbow is the suck. At least the stock resonator has a drain hole at the least. I think the AEM and SPT short rams seem to have more problems than the K&N. They sit much closer to the fender. Apperently even some of the "pod" types have problems too

wrx sputtering, but only when it's wet outside? - NASIOC

Engine Bucking Badly After Rainstorm - NASIOC

Intake Issue? - NASIOC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts