Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
i like how you set up your turbo timer, I'm planning on buying a blitz dual TT and am considering placing it where you did. It looks really nice. I'm wondering how you actually cut the hole. Did you use a utility knife? How did you make sure the hole was even and flat?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cut the hole with a utility knife because i didnt want to have to paint over any rough edges.
when making the hole start a little smaller than exact so it will have a snug fit.
i trimmed the two ridges under the vent ducts so the timer would sit flat and i also placed velcro there to hold it in place.
the only problem i have is reflections on the face, i think when my windows are tinted that problem will be no more.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm going to do this in a few days for my GReddy turbo timer which is about the same size... The part that says "Cut from front" or "Cut from back" is a little confusing to me... only because I don't think I can see what's going on in that picture. It looks like the light is reflecting on it funny making it tough to tell what I see. Can you enlighten me when you get a chance? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have another concern about the wiring harness. The HKS wiring harness part #WRXHAR doesn't work with the factory alarm. is there a wiring harness that does? Did you just hard wire it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in the front, on the top, there is a crease you can run the knife along to ensure the cut is straight.
on the bottom if you run the blade along the back you will get a straight cut.
it took me a while but eventually it cut through.

hardwire. but i dont have the factory alarm. if you cut a wire(not sure which one) it will work with the alarm.

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: p7r4e7y ]

·
Registered
306 Posts
Help!

I was surprised to see that most posts are worried about the electricla part of it. After reading instructions around here and buying a harness, everything is pretty much straight forward. Now, this may be funny to you but I'm really worried about the boot side of it. I just got mine yesterday, did my homework and read as much as I could on the installation of that TT. It's not clear at all how I can hook up that vaccum hose. I understand how it would go from point A to B. but what line do I tap it in??? In the box, there was a small sealed plastic bag that had the plastic T, some ties, and a red plastic wire connector(?!). What do I do with that red connector?
Then I put eveything down and understand exactly(kind of) what goes where. That plastic T seems to be real small. I look by the turbo and found a bunch of hoses of different sizes but not sure I found one that would match the size of that T. Am I supposed to play McGyver and come up with some parts on my own?(Dude, McGyver is tight, 2 sticks, gum, and a rubber band, and you get an helicopter....)

Thank you!
(my MBC JoeP comes in today... please help ASAP!!!) :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: Help!

ticrab said:
(Dude, McGyver is tight, 2 sticks, gum, and a rubber band, and you get an helicopter....) :D
don't forget about the Swiss Army knife!:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Awesome pics! wish more tutorials were like that

prey747 or anyone: d'ya think it's possible to mount it full flush right, almost up against the cup holder? Call me picky, but I think it'd look better. .. is the problem that center support piece? Since the display is only 16mm thick, would it be possible to bore a hole into the support with a Dremel?

I also have a Q about Blitz TT models, in case anyone knows: DTT-DC has the boost guage and FATT-DC has the auto timer setting + aux guage readings, right? ...do any TT's have both? I don't plan on getting a boost controller, or extra guages (yay DTT) but it'd be nice to have the auto-timer.:confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry, it wasn't clear. The Full Auto TT (Blitz's other model) doesn't have a boost guage, but it has an "auto meter" which apparently sets itself depending on recent turbo use. (not sure how it senses that) It also has temp and volt read-out

Does the dual TT have an "auto" setting for the timer?

.. basically I'm wondering if there's a super delux TT out there that has a guage and an auto setting.. (and the temp would be nice too!) Does that exist?

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
I would also like to know how to read the boost on this TT. What does hkpa mean. I need to know how to convert hkPa to psi. And how does that refer to boost? I would like to set my Turbo from either 15psi to 15.5psi. Is that too much? Isn't the original factory settings something like 14.5? I don't want too detonate too much and melt a piston or something. As soon as I get this TT, I will get a MBC to tune it. But I need to know how to convert hkPa to psi. I did a search and I couldn't really find anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys,

How do you guys wire the TT into the alarm system.

Over here in Australia we have the STi keypad alarm system which sits under the handbrake which seems to be causing a few problems with people installing TTs.

Do you guys have that alarm system on your cars?

Cheers
Antony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those wiring instructions look like pretty much standard turbo timer wiring instructions.

In Australia we have 2 separate alarm systems.

The remote alarm that has the remote on your car key and the STi keypad alarm which is a keypad that sits under your handbrake and requires you to enter a 4 digit pin to turn off the alarm so you can start your car.

This STi alarm has anti-hijack features that basically cuts in if you leave the car running after a drive, remove your seatbelt and get out.

Its this anti-hijack feature thats causing a problem as with TT your turn off the car and get out and the TT runs the car for a period of time and shuts down.

But with the STI alarm once you get out of the car the hijack mode is triggered and the alarm cuts in and shuts your car down in like a minute and sets the alarm off.

Damn annoying.

Cheers
Antony

·
Registered
77 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
I would also like to know how to read the boost on this TT. What does hkpa mean. I need to know how to convert hkPa to psi. And how does that refer to boost?
I think the Pa is the metric unit for pressure (Pascal, old dead dude). But the "hk" part is interesting. ..looks like "hecto kilo" (aka hundred thousand) a combo of metric prefixes. (there's no standard nomeclature, but most countries do combos, so try not to blame them!) According to here and here there are 6.895 kPa per psi. So 15 psi = 103 kPa = 1.03 hkPa. Considering the photos of the LED on the blitz webpage, this looks reasonable, but who the heck runs at 33 psi? (this is what you get after converting 2.30 hkPa "peak" warning as pictured on their website.) ...Well for all I know, maybe race cars do; this turbo stuff is still new to me.

..anyway, looks like, unless you wanna go metric, you'll have to carry a calculator in the glove compartment. Or maybe you can mount one in-dash. :D How fast can you divide by .07?

By the way, I can answer my earlier question about the DTT: according to OptAuto it does have an auto timer setting, based on turbo use and engine run time.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
I made a table for you guys for this formula to convert hkPa into PSI. The engineer I work with helped me out on this one. You know engineers and books.

PSI HKPA
14 0.966
14.25 0.98325
14.5 1.0005
14.75 1.01775
15 1.035
15.25 1.05225
15.5 1.0695
15.75 1.08675
16 1.104
16.25 1.12125
16.5 1.1385
16.75 1.15575
17 1.173
17.25 1.19025
17.5 1.2075
17.75 1.22475
18 1.242
18.25 1.25925
18.5 1.2765
18.75 1.29375
19 1.311
19.25 1.32825
19.5 1.3455
19.75 1.36275
20 1.38

Hope this helps.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
77 Posts
..just a thought.. maybe it can show pressure in psi. Could be something as simple as a setting. May be prudent to PM someone who's got one. :p

Antman: I hate this answer whenever I get it, but did you try a search on i-club? I know you're in Australia, but there's a lot of STi gear-heads over here. :) On i-club I even found a pic of a FATT install almost flush right by a guy who went nuts with a Dremel tool (exactly like I was wondering about!). Doesn't look as good as prey747's job, tho. Best of luck..

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had mine installed a while back. And I don't think there is an easter egg thing on this TT to switch to PSI. It was annoying at first but I ended up going with this for while and now I'm use to it. I know 1.17 would be my warning setting on my TT and it would go off everytime I reach or be over 17psi. I turned down my MBC a bit to keep the pressure under 1.12 since then.

I also added my little table in an Excel format...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts