Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
I've seen at least one other member show photos of theirs but don't recall seeing much else from them.

I would be surprised if it didn't have a clear coat. I wonder if the car got a respray by the lowest bidder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen at least one other member show photos of theirs but don't recall seeing much else from them.

I would be surprised if it didn't have a clear coat. I wonder if the car got a respray by the lowest bidder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
100% sure it has no clear coat, and I bought it from the original owner with 76k miles. I called the last owner and he verified it has no clear coat. While polishing you get just a tad (technical term) of oxidized paint. Not likely I'll get any more as long as the wax is kept up. The Sonic yellow may have a clear coat since more were made. I looked at a wagon days before getting this one, but didn't even think of checking.

· Banned
350 Posts
Is it possible after 16 years combined with lighthearted Subaru paint the clear coat was simply removed with years of sun and claying?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, not even a remote possibility. Have you ever seen paint after the clear coat is gone? It just doesn't happen that way. You don't clay or polish away clear coat, you have to sand it off or just totally ignore car care for many years and you'll see it start to disappear on the top surfaces first. This car's paint is in excellent condition, just shocked to see single stage paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.