1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
These are nice and I am considering but would prefer all black. May end up going this route if nothing else turns up by the time I'm ready to swap out intercoolers, only 600 miles on the car still a little more to go.
Ignore that picture, the part number listed is for it without the logo, so it would be all black.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Just a side note, did you get a decent tune on the car yet? Id suggest some engine management and a down pipe before an intercooler. That being said, the intercooler isn't going to hurt to say the least.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a side note, did you get a decent tune on the car yet? Id suggest some engine management and a down pipe before an intercooler. That being said, the intercooler isn't going to hurt to say the least.
Car is still in the break in period downpipe, intercooler and tune will all be getting done at the same time

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why do you want black? Just to hide it when you look in the hood scoop?

Be aware that any coating on the IC will hurt its ability to perform. There's a reason they leave them untouched raw aluminum on cars, or for any manufacturer that wants to brand them but maintain performance, they just put a really crappy looking light paint logo on them like you find on the older STI ICs where the red paint is difficult to see easily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do you want black? Just to hide it when you look in the hood scoop?

Be aware that any coating on the IC will hurt its ability to perform. There's a reason they leave them untouched raw aluminum on cars, or for any manufacturer that wants to brand them but maintain performance, they just put a really crappy looking light paint logo on them like you find on the older STI ICs where the red paint is difficult to see easily.
Did not think it would hurt performance but that does make sense, I really just wanted to have everything blacked out in the car including under the hood.

Lokey I was actually looking to see if anyone had a black one under the hood to compare to yours but thank you

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I thought they actually made heat conductive paint - as to enhance heat transfer as opposed to hinder it. I swear I saw that a few places were coating intercoolers to 'help' with heat transfer.

I'm no materials science guy - seems counter intuitive to me from a physics perspective. Another efficiency loss due to another layer of heat transfer... but who knows.

·
Æternum
20,577 Posts
I'm no materials science guy - seems counter intuitive to me from a physics perspective. Another efficiency loss due to another layer of heat transfer... but who knows.
It won't help but it won't hurt. Think of heat as a fluid (and in many ways it is). Conductive paint likely has a greater heat conductivity than the aluminum in the intercooler. The "conductive paint is like widening the width of a river. If you have a really narrow passage through which the river must flow, widening the width of the river after the narrow passage will not improve the flow of the water before narrow passage, but neither will it negatively impact the flow.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Did not think it would hurt performance but that does make sense, I really just wanted to have everything blacked out in the car including under the hood.

Lokey I was actually looking to see if anyone had a black one under the hood to compare to yours but thank you
Copy cat.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
It won't help but it won't hurt. Think of heat as a fluid (and in many ways it is). Conductive paint likely has a greater heat conductivity than the aluminum in the intercooler. The "conductive paint is like widening the width of a river. If you have a really narrow passage through which the river must flow, widening the width of the river after the narrow passage will not improve the flow of the water before narrow passage, but neither will it negatively impact the flow.
Makes sense. So you are saying that the thermal paint doesn't create a heat transfer 'barrier' such as air to water (where you'd hit that whole efficiency issue).

Would that hold as long as they are similar materials?

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts