Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of black headlight housing I think it makes the headlights stand out more. I've noticed some 2015+ models around here have the black outline while I'm stuck with all chrome. Is this an aftermarket option or are these headlights unique to the higher end models like the limited or sti.

· Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, they are different on the Limited. This video does a good head to head comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEQcPQkROBM

I have a Premium with the chrome headlights, and I also prefer the black. There are plenty of Youtube videos of people taking apart their headlights and painting the chrome black, but I'm not willing to go there. Crux Motorsports sells a vinyl overlay that is pretty cheap and looks pretty good overall:

2015, 2016, 2017, Subaru WRX & STi Headlight Black out Film

The video makes it look pretty simple, but I had no prior vinyl installation experience and did a crappy job that ended with me pulling them off a couple of days later. I liked the general appearance, so I will make another attempt at it with some experience in hand.

· Premium Member
81 Posts
Taking apart the headlights and painting the housing is pretty straightforward on the 15+ since you don't need to bake them first. Just give yourself ample time. I was able to knock it out in an afternoon and I suck at that kinda stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.