ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C was cycling on and off, about every 8 seconds. Not really cooling off the car on 88 degree days. My mechanic pal says it justs needs more R-134. So we hook up a can, with the A/C running on full blast, and it seems to fill normally. So I take it for a drive, and now it doesn't work at all!!! :mad: The compressor makes a double-clunk noise every few seconds; no cool air. Well, I get it home and figure I'll just make an appointment with the dealer. Then I get the idea to just let the car cool down a few hours, and try it again. To hedge my bet, I disconnect the battery to reset everything. Voila, 5 hours later it's working fine. What gives??

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
The A/C is programmed to turn off momentarily during hard acceleration. I don't suppose this is a contributing factor??

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
schischwein said:
The A/C is programmed to turn off momentarily during hard acceleration. I don't suppose this is a contributing factor??
Nah, it always cycled on/off when idling, driving normally, or tearing it up. I'll find out more when I drive it next. Thanks for the input, Dudes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PlatinumWRX said:
Probably an intermitant connection on the compressor relay. Check all your relays, one might be bad.

-Jim
Hmm, that's a thought. A 12-month-old car with a bad relay? :( I'll certainly look into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
JohnZim63 said:
Hmm, that's a thought. A 12-month-old car with a bad relay? :( I'll certainly look into it. Thanks!
A bad relay from whomever Subaru gets them from shouldn't be surprising given the number that are most assuredly made. Nobody can produce a good product 100% of the time, physics won't let you do that!;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm kinda having the same deal. My AC doesn't seem to get very cold anytime. At first I thought that having all these windows made it hard to keep it cool. But I tinted the windows and the AC still doesn't cool off very well.

Should I take it in to the dealership and have them check the levels and connections? Or are there others with the same cool, not COLD AC?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Cool--not cold" is the rule with newer cars, it seems. So I called my friendly Subaru dealer to get a quote for the a/c relay. They want $40 for the frigging little thing!! It's a pissy Radio Shack part that should cost $5 MAX. *big sigh* ....I guess we shouldn't be surprised at anything coming from car dealers anymore. Anyway, I explained to the guy that it might help them avoid a serious warranty job on my car, if they just give me the relay. Doesn't care. Naturally. :rolleyes:

Can anyone help me source this bugger?
manufacturer is Denso
PN: 156700-1020

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PlatinumWRX said:
JohnZim,

Are you sure that's the problem?

-Jim
Not at all. It's only a possibility that makes sense. Another possibility: Is it possible to overcharge the a/c system? The a/c compressor has been behaving very strangely since we put in the can of R-134. Makes occasional thumping sounds and cuts out. ???

Nice naked rear, btw :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Actually I have a similar problem, I have had no complaints when it comes to my a/c cooling, but ive been noticing that it seems like sometimes it cycles on and off during acceleration...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nexus6 said:
Actually I have a similar problem, I have had no complaints when it comes to my a/c cooling, but ive been noticing that it seems like sometimes it cycles on and off during acceleration...
That's by design, so the engine has less parasitic load on it during WOT, and puts more ponies on the pavement. Mine does that on/off behavior during normal driving. Starting to wonder about the Throttle Position Sensor. Any known faults with these, Guys?

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
JohnZim63 said:
That's by design, so the engine has less parasitic load on it during WOT, and puts more ponies on the pavement. Mine does that on/off behavior during normal driving. Starting to wonder about the Throttle Position Sensor. Any known faults with these, Guys?
It's worth getting checked out, but the TPS would cause A LOT of other problems if it was malfunctioning!

-Jim

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I noticed in the Fuse Box next to the battery, that the "Sub Fan 2" relay is exactly the same as the A/C relay. So I went and swapped these identical relays, and the same problem is occuring. That eliminates the Fuse Box relay from consideration as the culprit. One last question: Is it possible to overcharge the a/c system with R-134?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts