Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I had two spots of bird poop on my roof, passenger side, which couldn't have been there longer than two days, I had just washed the car. So I go and wet down the area, gently wipe with a cotton cloth, and underneath where the poop was, the paint is crackled to the primer. To make matters worse, just yesterday I was showing my car to a friend of a friend looking for a new car, and SHE noticed that it appears the bird poop affected the primer also, and there is rust coming through...

Got an appointment to see the dealer about the squeaky window, my e-brake doesn't always "catch", the drivers side mirror is all loose and flops back and forth, and now the bird poop thing. BTW, have you guys had to re-calibrate your compass in the mirror? Mine has gone out of whack twice now...

Do you think by now the dealers have had to deal with enough paint complaints to actually do something about it???

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
145 Posts
bird poop cracked paint? wow, maybe they've been eating bb's. It might be revenge for all of those bb's we shot at them as kids.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Yeah, maybe you do have a paint problem. Or you've been leaving the bird poop on longer than two days. That stuff will etch the paint (any paint) and if left long enough can do so so badly that it looks like it's cracked.

One of the worst blemishes on my car happened the same way. It got crapped on the morning I was leaving town for two weeks. My wife wanted me to spend time with her, so she promised to wash the car. Two weeks later, the car's not washed and I've got a quarter-size etch spot on my hood. :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I swear it was only two days, I've inadvertantly left poop on longer and haven't had the effect this had...

Seeing dealer Monday, a bud of mine who is an auto tech for Chrysler has seen this kind of stuff where he works, dealer will usually cover for a new vehicle.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful...

Steve

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Wow, this is sounding more and more common....in terms of the corrosive vogel scheiss. Over here in Quebec, I don't think we have the same problem as in the past I have left bird crap on other cars longer than several days and after many years, there is not marking. On the science note, bird excrement is one of the most valuable natural fertilisers and is particularly rich in phosphorous and up until WWII, the US had setup bird feces collection from small islands(that were literally "painted" white) in the Pacific for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have plenty of spots on my car, try a claybar, it might work on some, it might not. I am sure it depends on the chemistry of the bird crap, sometimes it does not have and effect, and sometimes it will, especially if it bakes in the sun, I hate it more than anything, but I cannot be outside washing my car all day, and it is illegal at the moment to wash in NJ, which is really driving me nuts, I have to be all stealth about it and wash it at night. Damn the birds!!!!

-joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
What?! It's illegal to wash you car? Bad drought?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yep, No watering, no washing, nothing is allowed, and I have a$$hole neighbors that would call the cops on me if I break out the hose, so I have been spot washing bad areas with a bucket of soapy water and using my Einman Fabrik spray wax for dust and such, which is by the way the best stuff on the planet and it works on all surfaces safely.

-joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
What about trouchless drive-through car washes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts