Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on another forum...

Here's the story from LABiker Brandon:

This photo is from a group ride yesterday (Sunday). A bunch of friends
from Springfield, MO went for a group ride in northern Arkansas. Great
roads, great weather, great day for a ride. Unfortunately an unknown
'new kid' on a 600RR joined the ride, with a a horrible ego/skill ratio.
The guys were afraid to mention it to him, out of politeness I guess.

They should have. His riding ended up causing tens of thousands in
damage, probably hundreds of thousands in medical, and only by the grace
of God was no one killed. BARELY.

This is a shot taken at the scene of the accident, mere seconds after
the crash. 'Bo' (lower left corner, *UNDER* the truck), is the new CBR
600RR rider that overcooked the corner and proceeded to lowside and
wedge himself *under* the Chevy.

The older white Ford in the photo veered into the oncoming lane to go
around the wreck, decided against it, and started backing down the hill.
This is where Jason (Duc rider, Springfield Police Officer) met the
truck, 1/2 way around the corner. Jason jumped from the bike just
before impact, and ended up with his head/shoulder through the
windshield. Paul (following behind Jason) hit the old Ford as well,
though didn't sustain as much damage.

Luckily the other riders knew enough not to move ANYONE, so they left
Bo under the truck, and Jason on the hood. Bo might lose his right arm;
the doctors haven't decided yet. Jason was conscious the whole time,
but understood not to move. Good thing. He's got a fractured C7
vertabra (I think the same thing that happened to Christopeher Reeves).

So...next time you think it's rude or impolite to tell that 'over his
head' rider to cool down or screw off, think of this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think Bo is already going to pay the ultimate price for going beyond his limit by losing his arm. Shame some of the more experienced riders got hurt from his mistake.

·
Registered
907 Posts
KoreanBeefcake said:
my freind broke his vertebra and dislocated his spine at football camp last year. i really feel sorry for him, but in a way i dont.
Is that the guy being pushed in the wheel chair?

I feel sorry for Jason and Paul! allthough Pall is ok he seems very emotionaly shocked.

·
Registered
642 Posts
omg, thats a horrible accident! glad no one died ... riders like bo make you wanna kick the **** out of 'em .. no matter how badly they are hurt.

hope we dont meet anyone like that when we visit the area in early Aug.

·
Registered
0 Posts
One more reason I doubt I will ever own a street bike... even though I love the feeling of riding a bike. It's not me I'm affraid of, its the other guy.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Street bikes are awesome. I gave them up after 5 years of riding because:

1)Something about the power and balance of a modern street bike makes me crazy and want to push the limits
2)I want to live to see my children grow up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I totally agree rayfields

I gave up my R1 for the little guy. And we are expecting our second son in a few weeks.

I totally miss the acceleration, the cornering, drag racing on the strip (10.96 @129), burnouts, wheelies, the whole deal. It isn't me that scares me, its the other fools and elderly down here in Tucson. They are worse than the [email protected] I had to deal with when I lived in Boston!:rolleyes:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Re: I totally agree rayfields

wrb_wrx_wagon said:
I gave up my R1 for the little guy. And we are expecting our second son in a few weeks.

I totally miss the acceleration, the cornering, drag racing on the strip (10.96 @129), burnouts, wheelies, the whole deal. It isn't me that scares me, its the other fools and elderly down here in Tucson. They are worse than the [email protected] I had to deal with when I lived in Boston!:rolleyes:
[email protected]! That's funny; a Mass. native at work first taught me that term! Yeah, I can't really get a proper feel for how much my engine mods are helping in the WRX, because I'm used to the unbelievable acceleration of a sportbike. Nothing in a car really impresses me that much, anymore. Nothing like 0-60 in 3 seconds!;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yet another example of why I will never set my ass on a motorcycle. Even if you're the safest biker in the world (unlike poor old Bo), one bad driver who doesn't notice you in the lane next to them and all you have to cushion the fall is concrete pavement, steel bumpers on pickup trucks, and a windshield. Personally, I prefer crumple zones and air bags.

Someone wants to bike? More power to you. I won't deny they're loads of fun. Just take this thread as a reminder that there's a very good reason why ER staff call them donorcycles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Someone was looking out for them on that day. Thats all I gotta say about that. I hope this helps Bo grow up and put his ego in the back seat. But knowing how people are, it probably wont change the way he behaves after he recovers. Just bought my 04 WRX a little over a month ago and plan on a house next year so no money for a bike. Riding is a great experience the few times I have been on a bike (CBR600). I'll probably have one w/ in the next 2-yrs, been wanting to own for 4. Somethings are more dangerous than others, thats how life is. Riding can be safe, you just hear the horror stories more often than the "good ride."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts