Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 WRX and am looking for a bike rack. Still irked that car has to have aftermarket ones. Any suggestions? I have found a generic trunk rack from walmart for 40 bucks but I am iffy about the quality and am currently limited fund wise. What are the pros and cons of roof vs trunk racks as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much are you willing to spend?
I installed and ecohitch and I use a 1up bike rack. The 1up rack is $300 plus $150 for each additional bike tray. It is worth every penny since it is the highest quality, fastest loading bike rack in the industry.
Once you install an ecohitch you can use any hitch mounted rack you want and the hitch disappears when the rack is not in use. Trunk mounted racks are flimsy, cumbersome and can scratch the paint. I would only consider a high quality hitch rack or a roof rack for anything other than very rare bike transportation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are pics of the 1 up rack. I also included a shot of the car with the rack removed. The bumper insert completely hides the ecohitch. It's a stealth system. The rack is lightweight aluminum and goes on and off in less than 1 minute.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle accessory
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Mid-size car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of that including the hitch seems to be close to 1000$ (Wife's bike as well). That I cannot afford. I think I could probably find something for the hitch though. I didn't realize where that hitch was! I tried taking off the cover at the dealership but the guy selling it to me stopped me cause he didn't know either. was it easy to install the ecohitch? I feel shallow for saying this but I would want something more cosmetically appealing. Thanks for the idea though. If I had the money for all that I would definitely jump on it though!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the hitch installed for $90. It took the guy less than 1 hour. He said the rear bumper doesn't have to be removed if you bend two tabs in the rear.
A roof rack and trays will be $ 1000 as well and the crossbars will always be on your car. Some like the look and some don't. The ecohitch disappears when my rack is not in use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright cool, where did you get your eco hitch? I googled them and there seem to be many many many different ones and I am sure that the one I decide to get will be wrong. I am going to go look for a thule/yakima roof rack, see more options, so thanks patroar as well!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know how other rack systems hold up on the wrx but I have a thule roof rack, the part that attaches the rack to the door frame actually punctured a tiny hole in the door seal. So I'd be careful with the racks, also keep asking people who have different rack systems and see what they say. There's also a company called Rhino Rack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I relied the Yakima trunk rack. I just got my 2017 WRX. I'm returning the Yakima. It was marring the top of the bumper and I can see it would be a pain taking and off. It looks like there is some sort of a clear decal on the top of the bumper just below the trunk lid. I wonder if that can be replaced. For another topic. Anyway my bike road bike fits inside the car with the front wheel removed and the seats folded down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the Yakima and how I can actually squeeze the bike in there lol. I want the roof rack but loading and unloading it seems like it would just be a pain

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you get either the Thule or Yakima rack where you dont have to take the front wheel off to load it on the roof rack, they are a breeze to load, actually easier than any trunk rack. Tray racks mounted on the hitch are probably the easiest to load on but then you have to take them on and off and they dont look as good as a roof rack. Go on either Thule or Yakima's sight and plug in all you info in their rack finder database and it will get you everything you need and give you a price:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I relied the Yakima trunk rack. I just got my 2017 WRX. I'm returning the Yakima. It was marring the top of the bumper and I can see it would be a pain taking and off. It looks like there is some sort of a clear decal on the top of the bumper just below the trunk lid. I wonder if that can be replaced. For another topic. Anyway my bike road bike fits inside the car with the front wheel removed and the seats folded down.
I know this thread is a few months old but for the sake of someone saerching around for bike racks... (like me right now)

I have a Yakima Fullback and had the same issue with it damaging the rear bumper...I was thinking about returning the rack but then what do I get? Roof rack would be tripe the price

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.