Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if I keep the stock 16 inch rims, can I get a larger tire than the 205/55 without any rubbing, etc? I am thinking of getting better tires (almost any tire would be better) but was also wondering if I could go a little larger. Thanks for your help. JacksonWRX

·
Registered
117 Posts
If by larger you mean wider, yes. There are a few people on this forum that have gone 225 without problems. However, there is probably more sidewall flex on the narrow rims.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You can put some 225s on but they look a little bit wide if you ask me. I will post some pics of a car with 225s. These are Dunlop SP5000s IIRC.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
One more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 225 50 16's and they have improved the handling a lot. The AVSE100's are holding up well and have good wet and dry grip. A vast improvement over the RE92's.

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Here's some Yokohama AVS ES100 225/50/16 on the stock wheels. These are om my wagon without any rubbing. These tires have the rim protector band, so the tires don't look bulged out. Instead, the wheels are sorta recessed into the tire.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the same set up Smorris, what's your impression?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's 225/50. They do a good job of filling up the wheel well with some tire. Actually improves the looks of the car.

and the grip improvement is unbelievalble. These are pretty close in terms of grip to my r-compound Kumho Victoracers in the same size :D

There won't be any rubbing with this size if you are anywhere near stock ride height.

Gonz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
be careful that you get the correct offset with the wagon, especially if you go to 225/50. there is not as much room in the wheel wells.

I wish there were more options in light, affordable, 16" aftermarket wheels !

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does anyone have any 215-55-16 tire on th stock rims?

thats what im thinking of going with instead of the 225's

because i can still use the chains for the stock tire size with the 215's =) no need to get new chains =)

well want to see more pic thank alot guys

pic pic pic

keep them coming

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A quick question for those of you who have gone to 225/50 tires on the stock rims. Since you are running a diferent profile tire, does it change the speedo? It may be a dumb question but since I am about to do it I was wondering? Thanks for your help. JacksonWRX

·
Registered
138 Posts
No the diffrence between the 205x55x16 and 225x50x60 in diamiter is like less then and eight of an inch. Wich will only like throw off your speedo half a mile an hour. There used to be some tire size calculator, but i cant find in on the web any more.

middle number ( Height) 55 is the aspect ratio of the first number (Width) 205. So height is a ratio of how wide the tire is, and vise a versa.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Cheveyboy said:
No the diffrence between the 205x55x16 and 225x50x60 in diamiter is like less then and eight of an inch. Wich will only like throw off your speedo half a mile an hour. There used to be some tire size calculator, but i cant find in on the web any more.

middle number ( Height) 55 is the aspect ratio of the first number (Width) 205. So height is a ratio of how wide the tire is, and vise a versa.
Just wanted to calrify: the upgraded size is 225x50x16 NOT 225x50x60. I'm sure it was just a typo. The last number is the rim diameter, so 16=16 inch rim which is the stock rim size.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I want to see some more pictures too. I'm considering rims and tires, but I'm very very tight on money. And I need tires, my tires are almost bald. I have eibach springs. will 225/55/16 fit without rubbing? whats the biggest you can go, that won't look funny or rub? I want to get tires that'll change my cars look. In other words, I want a slightly higher/taller profile tire.

p.s. I'm a tire technology newbie.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the equation you are looking for is:

205/55/16=>(((205x.55)x2)x.03937)+16 = 24.878
225/50/16=>(((225x.50)x2)x.03937)+16 = 24.858

1 - 20 of 27 Posts