ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um,

I just installed my FMIC.

After two days of work, I took it out to a test drive.

And my Day time running light started to work again. (I disabled it by taking the plug out of that little module near the turbo)

I resetted the ECU 4 times, and somehow it's working!!

No wires are connected to that module, and it's still working.
Any clues?? I don't like DRL and I have HID...so I want to disable it. Help me out guys. Thank you in advance.

-soul

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's odd....

I have my DRL's disconnected by disconnecting a plug under the FBC solenoid cover, and then taping that up...Not sure if this would help you...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Quick tutorial for how to disconnect DRLs:

1. Unscrew every single screw you can find that holds the glove box in

2. take out a couple of those little subaru plastic clips that hold the box to the car

3. Gently pull down and the whole glovebox will sit on the floor of your car, revealing plastic clips that hold wiring together and several connectors.

4. near the right side of all the little connectors is a bright yellow one that says "DRL CONTROL" or something like that on top of it, although it's hard to read the top part

5. Yank the hell out of it until it comes undone

6. Reinstall screws and everything, then go back under your hood and RECONNECT the connection by the turbocharger. Leaving this open makes your electrical system vulnerable to water and road dirt and can short something out, however minor it may be.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Tim,
You said that you have to "reconnect" something in the engine bay? I didn't see you mention anything previously about unplugging something there, so can you be more clear on what you are talking about?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Trailboss said:
Tim,
You said that you have to "reconnect" something in the engine bay? I didn't see you mention anything previously about unplugging something there, so can you be more clear on what you are talking about?
I think he was refering to when Soulsweeper said
Soulsweeper said:
(I disabled it by taking the plug out of that little module near the turbo)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
yeah, the whole "installed an intercooler now my lights are funked up" thing doesn't sound like it makes any sense, but I think the problem is that the engine bay disconnect doesn't work perfectly, and will reoccur at random. IF he installed a fmic, then he most likely removed his battery, hence reset his ECU, hence why the DRL's would come back on if they weren't properly disconnected.

Josh, as far as the "reconnect" step goes, I was refering to the fact that the guy had already done the engine bay mod. I was simply recommending that he reconnect the half-arsed job he did because it would leave an open electrical connection vulnerable to the elements.

~Tim

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
1) maybe the extra cooling provided by the bigger intercooler is providing enough of an energy difference from top to bottom to generate a significant amount of power, and since the intercooler is so close to the DRL module its creating a current in it by induction.

2) maybe aliens stuck a probe in its tailpipe and "healed" all its ailments.

3) WRX farie magic

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how my FMIC did anything to my DRL. It's very strange to me as well. However, that's the reality. Imma disable the actual module now. Thanks for all the info.

By the way.., how long do HID bulbs usually lasts? You think it'll be ok to leave the DRL on?

-soul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts