ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i plan on putting on big TMIC and buy before doing that, i would like to install a bigger hood scoop to allow more air in. i cant seem to find a thread on any site on how to install a bigger hood scoop. anyone got any links. i would like a thread with pics if that it possible. thanks!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
why do you need a bigger hoodscoop for a FMIC? Doesn't that get installed in front of the radiator?

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
Buy an STi scoop. They're everywhere.

·
Registered
593 Posts
well considering that the intercooler will be in the front of the vehicle the point of a hood scoop is nill, so i dont really know why you would even want a bigger one? your intake isnt even close to the hood scoop either so there really isnt much of a point. Gruppe-S has a bunch of really cool looking hoodscoop deletes that look pretty awesome. also even if you just had a mistype and meant to say TMIC instead of FMIC, the stock hood scoop becomes a wind sail, and starts pushing wind back out the front of it at anything over about 85mph, a bigger hoodscoop would just make this even more prevelent. either you mistyped the kind of intercooler you want or your reasoning is illogical. maybe both. my 2cents

Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ummm. yeah. you could go scoopless if youve got a front mount intercooler. If youre putting in a bigger top mount intercooler than a bigger scoop is okay. but you shouldnt need instructions. I bought an sti scoop for my bugeye from subydude and its a matter of like 10 screws to remove the splitter than the scoop itself. total time 5 mins
Dave

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, im getting a top mount, but then what would u suggest, i just want a hood scoop with a bigger opening. i was told if i got a bigger TMIC, there would not be enough air going into it, so therefore i would need a scoop with a bigger opening.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
yeah, im getting a top mount, but then what would u suggest, i just want a hood scoop with a bigger opening. i was told if i got a bigger TMIC, there would not be enough air going into it, so therefore i would need a scoop with a bigger opening.
you can put a STI hood scoop on or a bigger carbon fiber one whatever you like.

·
Registered
593 Posts
doesnt change the fact that your hood scoop becomes ineffective at moving air once you are over about 85mph it starts putting air back out the other direction. a bigger hood scoop just means that it starts pushing air back out at a lower speed. the problem is not with the amount of air going to it. the problem is the amount of air flowing through it. your intercooler no matter how big doesnt flow air through it fast enough to keep up with even your stock hoodscoop (well you might find one that did but it would either be too thin to work oooorrr wouldnt fit under your hood.) so it doesnt really matter how you slice it

Matt

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, thanks so my real question would be would i have to cut out my hood at all to install one, or are there bigger ones that go on the old mounting brackets

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doesnt change the fact that your hood scoop becomes ineffective at moving air once you are over about 85mph it starts putting air back out the other direction. a bigger hood scoop just means that it starts pushing air back out at a lower speed.
what would u suggest then?

·
Registered
0 Posts
where did you get your info from saying that over 85 miles per hour the air starts to come back out of the hood scoop. and where does it say that a bigger hoodscoop doesnt help. Im very curious as to why the STi would have a bigger scoop when it actually "pushes air out at higher speeds" more than a smaller scoop

·
Registered
593 Posts
1) CFD analysis of a similarly shapped scoop with a similarly dense object behind it (intercooler). when it got to a certain speed (the radiator in our case) couldnt physically flow the amount of air that the scoop could take in. so yes some still flows through but the majority got pushed back out the same hole it ententered. (85 mph was a guessitmation, our CFD said 76mph for our particular scoop, but notice that on my WRX when i get above 85 my hoodscoop moves around a lot more than at say 80, which is why i put my guesstimation where it was)

2)now take a larger amount of air (bigger hoodscoop) and try to push it though the object which hasnt changed densitys. the speed at which flow maximises though the intercooler will now be lower.

3)the sti's larger hood scoop may have something to do with wrc homoglation rules. subarus purpose of the scoop is WRC, the intake is higher up and less likey to be pelted with rocks, clogged with water and mud, which these things could all wreak havoc on an intercooler.

hope that answers your questions!

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts