Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have a VF34 my uppipe is leaking again. I got a new gasket just in case mine's blown. My question is whether or not I should continue to torque the bolts to spec, or should I tighten them a little more?

·
Banned
601 Posts
how did you install it? Did you tighten from the bottom of the car up? Did you make sure to retorque after 150 miles? Sometimes the gaskets compress, or something and the bolts become looser then b4.... If you tightened the top of the upppipe first, that could be the problem too(from what I know). I wouldn't think you need to tighten the bolts past spec.

peace

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agreed don't overtighten.

All I have ever seen from extra tightening is warped flanges and broken bolts.

HTH

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hippy78 said:
how did you install it? Did you tighten from the bottom of the car up? Did you make sure to retorque after 150 miles? Sometimes the gaskets compress, or something and the bolts become looser then b4.... If you tightened the top of the upppipe first, that could be the problem too(from what I know). I wouldn't think you need to tighten the bolts past spec.

peace
I tightened the top first. That's what I always thought you're supposed to do. No, I didn't tighten after 150 miles. I'll retorque the bolts to spec again in the next few days, and I'll change the bottom gasket since I got this cool fat one form Subaru :D

Bask Oner said:
I'm sorry. :(
Aw...it's okay buddy...we'll get through this together :D It's not a bad leak. It's just when I go WOT I hear this screach. I'll take care of it in no time :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bask Oner said:
I get the same thing. It's more of a whistle though, and it's only at WOT under load. F it.
I want something to do this holiday weekend, so fixing this leak will be a good pass-time.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
did you reuse the gasket? What type of gasket?
I reused the stock one, but I bough a new OEM gasket. This one is thicker though. It seems like it has 3 gaskets put into one. Here's a pic...

·
Banned
601 Posts
bottome first, if you installed it from the bottom, you should put all the nuts and bolts for all the parts excluding the downpipe. Then snug/tighten in this order, and make sure to check the first few bolts you tighten after you tighten the next bolts, and so on, rechecking the torque til you are sure then are set:). At least thats what I do.

manifold to crossmemeber
manifold to block
manifold to uppipe
uppipe to mounting bracket
uppipe to turbo

when puting the downpipe on, I tighten the bottom then the top, then the middle bolt, and have to push the exhaust over to the passenger side so it doesn't hit the car(while tightenning the middle bolt)..... The main point is that if you tighten the top first, when the bottom is tightened, it might not sit right. If you tighten the bottom of the uppipe first, since the turbo "floats" everything down there connects correctly and you can move on to rightenning the upper bolts. Also, I'm pretty sure the gsaket above is the same type you reused, just with less wear.

peace

·
Registered
196 Posts
Fahd -

That gasket isnt thicker buddy! Its just new. NEVER reuse the old gaskets, they are crush type and are used only once, sure fire way to get a leak!

YMMV,

-Dave

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
03WRXMA said:
Fahd -

That gasket isnt thicker buddy! Its just new. NEVER reuse the old gaskets, they are crush type and are used only once, sure fire way to get a leak!

YMMV,

-Dave
Really? I thought mine was just a lot slimmer than this one :D Well, I guess that makes sense. If it crushes it would look flat. Thanks Dave :)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hey fahd, when will your car troubles end? I swear, you and kanos. Oh well.

If you want help this weekend i'll lend you a hand with all the work.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shard said:
Hey fahd, when will your car troubles end? I swear, you and kanos. Oh well.

If you want help this weekend i'll lend you a hand with all the work.
Thanks for the offer buddy, but it'll take me no more than 30 minutes to do the whole thing. I don't call this trouble really...it's just a bump on the road :) After all, it's stuff like this that helps learn more about my car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts