ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work, cruising in the slow lane of the freeway, when this big, brand new silver supersized pickup truck does a hillbilly fly-by and then drops back, and pulls up along side me. His truck sounds pretty cool, BRRRR, BRRRRRRRR, but thick black smoke belches out of what looked to be at least a 5" exhaust tip with each blip of the throttle. There's this queer guy leaning out the backseat supercab window, waving me along, trying desperately to get me to run. I ignored him for about a mile until I just said poop it, and dropped into 4th and mashed it.

Suddenly, more black smoke than the little engine that could had ever produced blasted out the back of him, blotting out the sun which was in my rearview mirror within about three seconds. I had plenty of space and speed to pull in front of him and watch as the black cloud behind the truck seemed to eclipse the truck making the mess, which got smaller and smaller, and finally the smoke stopped belching as the truck gave up with a pathetic anti-climax about 30 cars behind me.

I slowed down, but he slowed down-er, and never came within ten car-lengths. He was teh loser and now his truckload of buddies knew it, too. If only I could have heard the convo they had at that point.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
What a moron. I mean, I can understand him trying to race if his truck was actually fast--and there are some real fast diesel trucks--, but he probably just had an exhaust.

Oh well.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I thought he'd be a lot quicker, because the only other time I raced a big truck was this dude in a "Duramax" something something with propane injection. He told me all about it before we ran, but it was greek to me, and I just thought "pfft, whateva dood" and ran him. I was being all easy when he just blew my doors off. I slapped my WTF face on and lined up at a second light and said, "Ok, no more playing around this time." He was laughing his ass off. So we go, and I was A-freaking-mazed at this thing's ability to hold at my rear bumper. I finally squeeked about 3/4 of a car ahead before he shut down. I couldn't believe it. He congratulated me cause he said "Until now, I was the fastest in town." I told him he still was since I wasn't from 'round these parts, LOL.

But ever since then, I tend to let the big trucks go. Never know what they have going on. Not that I lost yet, but still. :) I was happy to have wasted this last truck, but I bet he goes and gets himself a chip and propane, then comes looking for round two.

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
Propane is to a diesel as nitrous is to a gas engine.
And most of these engines in these trucks have huge potential for more power. A simple chip can put 90 horsepower to the duramax without changing another part. They have the turbos and pumps turned down. Turn them up and them babies can haul the mail! And they don't care if there are ten people in the truck. Torque, torque, torque.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Heavily modified diesels are cool. However, lots of mulleted yahoos (like the one who raced the STi and lost) think that having 500lb./ft. means a fast truck. Most of the diesels are agonizingly slow in stock or lightly modified form.

·
Registered
863 Posts
wonderspark said:
...when this big, brand new silver supersized pickup truck does a hillbilly fly-by...
:rotfl:

·
Registered
157 Posts
My buddy has a 2000 Dodge regular cab pickup with the Cummings diesel. It's heavily modified (injectors, intake, bigger turbo, 5" exhaust, etc) and puts out well over 1,000 ft/lbs of torque and over 450 hp. I've driven it several times and it accelerates from 30 mph like it's been hit from behind by a freight train. He's been bugging me for a race- I said only from a standstill, preferably in the rain.

·
5,400 Posts
My favorite comanche indian is back. I was just up your way not too long ago.
Another thing that really works on the big trucks is converter work. That can make those babies fly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wannabe said:
My favorite comanche indian is back. I was just up your way not too long ago.
Another thing that really works on the big trucks is converter work. That can make those babies fly.
What were you doing in Maine? He has the transmission rebuilt/modified as well.

·
5,400 Posts
I actually slipped down into NewHampshire to by a dynomometer. It is getting shipped to the door as we type. Interesting place up there. Good seafood. And expensive in the upper portions of Mass. But they made up for it all in having a gutless rental car. And the rental car had no converter work done to it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Be careful with diesels guys!! Record for least mods to best time is TTC extreme tune, converter, transgo tranny mods, exhaust, and maybe intake and it ran a 12.87!! Single cab 4wd diesel(duramax) truck. Oh, and you can get a chip to give you up to 200whp now and around 450wtq ADDED if the trans will hold up to it.

PS. Dad might be getting a DMax truck and I have been researching on them.

Richard

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Sounds like around here, except these guys don't bother to get the diesel engine. They think a stock F150 or F150 with insecure-little-man exhaust makes it fast. Get a lot of those and minivans trying to run me...never diesel.

RN

·
Registered
158 Posts
my dads duramax with simple BPU mods runs mid 13's on huge ass tires lol....faster than my car

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
diesel+good driver+simple mods=really fast truck

I will not race one cause I saw or posted one running 11.. then drove the thing home.:cool: .

I am afraid ......... very afraid.

·
Registered
349 Posts
renichms said:
Sounds like around here, except these guys don't bother to get the diesel engine. They think a stock F150 or F150 with insecure-little-man exhaust makes it fast. Get a lot of those and minivans trying to run me...never diesel.

RN
There is a bone stock looking Silverado running around here that goes to the track and runs 10s. Mops people up on the streets left and right. Dont believe me, check out this months Hot Rod Magazine, there is a 4 page write up on his truck. Also has vids all over the internet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts