ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I just recently got my 2007 STi. About a week ago I was driving home and did a third gear WOT pull to about redline. Throughout the pull the call would all of a sudden lose power and then about 1 second later power would come back. I was like WTF? I then tried this in all gears to see if I could feel the same thing. When I did the 6th gear pull I lost a tremendous amount of power and the SES light came on. So I took the car home and call Subaru of Jacksonville the next morning. The could not get me in until this past thursday which at the time was about a week away and I told the service rep about the problem and he told me to reset the ECU and the SES light would go off at that point. So I did that and still was noticing the power loss over all the gears and then the SES comes back on. I reset the ECU and parked the car until the day it went in for service. I took it in on Thurs and left it and was told it would be done the next day. So Friday I go in to the service department and I had to talk to the Service Mgr. about some other random issues and then we talked about the power loss and this is how it went.

Him: SOA told us to completely dump the ECU and reload it. Also that that found no codes stored in the system from the two times the SES light came on.

Me: I know for a fact it is doing it because it had done it numberous times and on numerous occasions. No car should ever drop RPM's midway through the range at WOT.

Him: We drove your car and we agree that there is a problem but we dont know what is causing it. All we can do is what Subaru tells us.

Me: I went through the lemon law with my previous car which was a Z and it seems that if you cant fix the problem then I am gonna have to go through it with this car also.

Him: I agree there is a problem but at this time we cannot fix it.

Me: If it is still doing it when I leave today and throughout the weekend then it will be back in your shop on monday.

Him: We wont have anything new to tell you at that point.

Me: Well you will just need to document that I brought it in and that you know there is a problem but you cant fix it.

Him: OK

So tonight on the way home I lost power again at a mild exceleration this time and I am furerious. What could be causing this? Can you guys give me some suggestions of what I should do? Please help me! I had big plans for this car and I am definatly putting off the mods until i get this stuff worked out.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
Where exactly are you located? There may be someone with a clue close to you.

Have you messed with the car at all? Be truthful.

I would start by checking your boost control solenoid and ensuring that everything is hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where exactly are you located? There may be someone with a clue close to you.

Have you messed with the car at all? Be truthful.

I would start by checking your boost control solenoid and ensuring that everything is hooked up correctly.
No I have not messed with the car at all other than taking the measurements for the fiberglass sub box I am building. That is it. I am sure that if it was a simple boost control solenoid then the dealer would have found it.... But sometimes their stupidity suprises me.

Chris
Jacksonville, FL

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
It sounds like it's overboosting, next time you get a CEL take it somewhere other than the dealership and get it scanned.

·
Registered
842 Posts
+1. sounds like a fuel cut. and if their saying they didn't even find any codes then they may have just gotten lazy and tried whatever was easiest to get you out of there without checking for this.

·
Banned
0 Posts
:rotfl::rotfl:F-ing meat heads. Take your extreamly valid claim and start ringing heads with it. Subaru knows there are issues with the 07 STI ECU. There playing you for a fool. Bastages. I would have hit the guy if they told me such things. :screwy:

·
Registered
707 Posts
yes the 07 stock maps are crap even the SOA reflash, flash to stage 1 though COBB or Opensource and youll be fine. car will feel better throughout the rpm range

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
yes the 07 stock maps are crap even the SOA reflash, flash to stage 1 though COBB or Opensource and youll be fine. car will feel better throughout the rpm range
I wouldnt recommend this in this case. I'd keep the car 100% stock in case he has to lemons it. The car on the stock tunes hesitates it doesnt "shut off" like he's describing. It goes like hell for a bit and then stutters for like 200 rpms or so and then picks back up.

Keep taking it back like you said and document it.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I wouldnt recommend this in this case. I'd keep the car 100% stock in case he has to lemons it. The car on the stock tunes hesitates it doesnt "shut off" like he's describing. It goes like hell for a bit and then stutters for like 200 rpms or so and then picks back up.

Keep taking it back like you said and document it.
/\/\/\/\
Ed Zachary

I wouldn't even change the shift knob on this car right now. Lemon law it and get a slightly used 06.

·
Registered
707 Posts
true that, if you lemon law it, then yes ignore what i said and keep the car stock and get yourself a new one

·
Registered
92 Posts
aww %^$# i have an 07 sti... but i've already flashed to stage 2 :cool:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
WARNING: You may not agree with me. I work at a dealer and share their perspective.

1. Threatening lemon law is the fastest way to get ignored.

2. Intermittent problems are the worst to diagnose.

3. A dealer that tells you to reset the ECU over the phone isnt worth their salt.

My advice is to be patient, allow them enough time to properly diagnose the concern. Insist they keep it until they have it pinned down, but call everyday for progress reports. If need be, find another dealer and keep your yellow tongue inside your mouth.

·
Registered
300 Posts
WARNING: You may not agree with me. I work at a dealer and share their perspective.

1. Threatening lemon law is the fastest way to get ignored.

2. Intermittent problems are the worst to diagnose.

3. A dealer that tells you to reset the ECU over the phone isnt worth their salt.

My advice is to be patient, allow them enough time to properly diagnose the concern. Insist they keep it until they have it pinned down, but call everyday for progress reports. If need be, find another dealer and keep your yellow tongue inside your mouth.
+1
and sounds like fuel cut to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts