·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just spent some time reading over the website and i think i'm going to sign up for it. the highlights are:

-just by qualifying and sending in your data you will get a minimum of a 5% discount, and up to 25% discount. there will be no rate increases from using this
-factors included in the discount are how much you drive, how safe you drive (low, medium, high risk miles), and how much time you spend above 75 mph
-data recorder must be plugged into obd-2 port 95% of time to qualify
-must be within 30 days of a new period to begin the data recording
-you put the info onto your computer and can review it, and then send it to progressive to determine your discount

-the time of day you drive is recorded also, but i'm not sure if its factored into your 'discount'
-aggressive accelleration and braking are recorded, but only for research to see if they are linked to accidents

you can look at all your data on your own computer, which would be cool, and you can decide after looking at it if you want to send the info to Progressive to be factored in. Again, worst case scenario is you get a 5% discount (and as much as a 25% discount). Sounds to me like realistically i'll get a 10-15% discount out of it.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blah i just went to sign up and its ONLY for Minnesota drivers insured with Progressive right now. oh well...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
This is crap. Not an increase? That's total nonsense.

The pool of money available to insurance providers must remain the same unless this device actually reduces the number of accidents (it won't). So if some people get a discount, other people have to pay more. Sure, they won't say "you don't have this, therefore your rates go up...." they'll say "all the rates are going up.... and those of you with this can get a discount".

It's like the grocery store "valued customer" card. They raise all the prices, and then give you a card so you can get the real price. People visiting from out of state for a time pay waaay more than they should.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Exactly. Couple this with GPS and/or EZ-Pass, and there will be little need for traffic enforcement, because your car will "tattle" on you.

And as pointed out earlier, if a program like this is a success, the lure of revenue from automatic penalties (conveniently billed to your credit card) to law enforcement will mean that insurance companies can petition legistlation to make it mandatory.

Rev 13:16-17
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, (17) so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zem said:
This is crap. Not an increase? That's total nonsense.
I'd have to assume that since they are still testing it that those who participate are being rewarded for their efforts. Who knows what the policy will be if this ever goes full swing.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
863 Posts
Seeing as I grossly violate the speed limit almost every time I drive my car (Vermont has empty roads...), I don't think I'll be signing up for that any time soon. :eek3:

They'd look at my data from a drive I did on Monday afternoon and drop me like a hot potato. (Think: 3 digits. Twice.)

Don't trust 'em, folks. They're out to make money, nothing more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts