ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If your car is tinted, you may feel that the reverse lighting seems a bit weak. For ~$40 / 10 minutes work, you can replace your lights with brighter LEDs.

Tools/parts needed (also replaced dome/map lights):

2 x 7440-W18-T (SuperBrightLEDs) - your bulb may be different
Knife / Flathead Screwdriver

Pull two push-pins out on each side:

Pull back the liner and disconnect the power:

Remove reverse light bulb (bulb closest to you on top) and replace it with LED:

Taillight:

Before/After:

NOTE: The camera does not do the difference justice.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sinister said:
I want outside pics!!
I took before shots last night. Have to wait until it's dark for after...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
I think there were halogen reverse lamps available at one point also. I wonder if the LEDs are brighter than those. I think the cost was comparable but I have not seen the halogens around in a while. Either way this is a great idea, there is no reason not to have as bright a backup lamp as possible, it's great safety.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SD_GR said:
I think there were halogen reverse lamps available at one point also. I wonder if the LEDs are brighter than those. I think the cost was comparable but I have not seen the halogens around in a while. Either way this is a great idea, there is no reason not to have as bright a backup lamp as possible, it's great safety.
Interesting. I'd be curious to see a side-by-side comparison...

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
technically led's dont "throw" light like a filament or arc source will.. they're just more intense. That said however.. there is power in numbers. Where one filament in a bulb has a certain brightness.. add 6 or 8 led's and now we have some comparable brightness as well as better light tone.

Matt where are those night pics??? LOL

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
My single LED flashlight puts out 200 lumens. It's not just power in numbers.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
well better reflectors and technology help.. the new super high intensity led's are giving bulbs a good hard run for their money. Personally I'm excited to see more led lighting solutions. Imagine whole cities using long life low voltage lighting? .. one word.. awesome :D

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sinister said:
It's night time... I'm Waiting.... ;)
mangostick said:
Matt where are those night pics??? LOL
Updated

As I said there, the pictures do not do the difference justice.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
Definitely cooler and they do look more intense too (is that your gardenia?). Thanks for the tip.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SD_GR said:
Definitely cooler and they do look more intense too (is that your gardenia?). Thanks for the tip.
It's not quite as bright as I thought it would be, but the difference is significant, especially through my rear window (which is tinted).

As for the plant, that's an Endless Summer Hydrangea

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I wish summer really was endless... Sigh.... I miss Patrick Swayze...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SD_GR said:
Aha, thanks! Very pretty, I'll look into them.
Completely OT, but they can be blue/pink depending on the alkalinity of the soil.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rage-wrx said:
Looking good Matt.
In case you're interested in doing this, you have different bulbs, I believe. I have two extra, and I went to install them on a friends '08 sedan this evening, and the OE on his car were smaller...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
In case you're interested in doing this, you have different bulbs, I believe. I have two extra, and I went to install them on a friends '08 sedan this evening, and the OE on his car were smaller...
YES! I had some in my 07 taillights I was going to put in the 08 (just oe regular bulbs tho) and they were different!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts