Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a set of 100W H3 bulbs into my fog lights. WOW, it's like day and night.
Got my bulbs from Pep Boys for $ 8.99 each. There made by Phillips and state "off road use only". So much for the warning. I saw other high intensity bulbs going for $ 35.00 and up. Don't get them. Try these first. You won't regret it.

The bulbs will not just fit right into the lamps because of an extra tab on the bulbs. I just took out my dremel tool and cut them off. Took only 10 minutes to complete.

I wish I did this the first day I brought it home. A must to all who like to drive fast at night. If only I knew how to wire up my foglights to stay on with my highbeam. The highbeams seem dim now.

G

·
100w? What are the factory bulbs? I've talked to a lot of friends with other cars that put super whites in and it eventually melted the socket because they didn't upgrade the harness

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory fog light bulb is 55 watts. I haven't seen any problems with the wiring yet.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Thanks Wagon,

Hmm I'm thinking about getting the HID bulb upgrade but they're getting cheaper everyday so I might just wait a little more. The bulbs from pep boy sounds cool especially it is actaully 100w becuase most of the other hyperwhite bulbs are like 70-80w.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't go with the cheap HID Bulbs. If u r looking for bright lights and don't mind to give up ur high beam, u can get a pair of real HID kits for less than 6 bills. Why border to mess around with cheap bulbs

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you so sure that my wiring harness will melt down. Did yours ? Explain

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why are you so sure that my wiring harness will melt down. Did yours ? Explain
This happened on my brothers MY00 2.5RS, the gauge wire that Subaru uses can only withstand 55 Watts of power. That harness was never intended for anything else above that. If you wish to put higher wattage bulbs on your car without upgrading the harness then go ahead but expect only about 2 to 3 months before bulbs burnout or you do fry the harness. {depending how often you use you lights}.

I'm just trying to save you alot of grief in the future.

Trust me it's a pain in the butt to change the harness and in the worst case it could start a fire.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A good idea might be to use the factory harness as a signal to a relay with better wiring to run you 100w bulbs. That would cost like 15 bucks and a half hour of your time. Instead of trying to talk Subaru into the idea that it melted for no reason.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll put in a relay and some thicker guage wire.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I run with my gauge lights pretty low. With the driver and passenger side being a 50% tint you cant see inside at all. With them turned all the way up I glow inside the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts