Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new. Looking to purchase my first WRX. It's gonna be a used one. I was wondering what would be the best year to buy used?

·
Æternum
15,863 Posts
Newest stock WRX you can afford.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Before I bought my new 2018, I looked for used ones. I looked for 6 months. I couldn't find used ones that weren't modded or had a salvage title. When I did find ones that weren't modded or had salvage titles, they were asking only a couple grand less than new. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I think that’s true!

Corvettes are owned by old people who paid cash (frequently the cash left over from a divorce) and many are rarely driven.

If you can find a Corvette with a full service history, are not embarrassed driving one, and can tolerate Chevrolet dealers, don’t hesitate to get one. The newer ones are decent cars in every way. I very nearly bought one and I find US V8s dreary otherwise. Recommended!

·
Æternum
15,863 Posts
find US V8s dreary otherwise. Recommended!
Unless it's a lazy V8 in a 70s-era Wagon as I recall.

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
The viper was actually quite reliable for what it was as well. If you go back far enough with them you didn't even have to worry about pesky safety features or things like doors that lock.

·
19,727 Posts
Unless it's a lazy V8 in a 70s-era Wagon as a recall.

Oh yes!

And not just anaemic petrol engines either. Sure, a Chrysler New Yorker is an absolute load of a vehicle and only belongs on TPB being driven around Sunnyvale. But there are so many other noteworthy cars from that era I'd love to have as a daily. Imagine something with the legendary Oldsmobile diesel V8 and late 70s US technology throughout! Epic!

·
Æternum
15,863 Posts
The viper was actually quite reliable for what it was as well. If you go back far enough with them you didn't even have to worry about pesky safety features or things like doors that lock.
The Viper V10 is virtually the worst engine of modern times. It should never have existed after 1973.

Stupid heavy, miserable power density, and sucks more fuel than an A10 Warthog, and runs hotter than the pits of hell. The Viper chassis is brilliant -- too bad it wasn't offered with a Gen IV SBC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have weighed your options and want a fun 4 door all-weather car (aka, not just a performance car like a Corvette) then it honestly comes down to how much you have to spend. The new FA platform engine is more mechanically complex and uses direct injection and a twin scroll turbo to make daily usable horsepower while achieving pretty decent mpg. I would recommend 2016-2017 only because I have a 2015 and it has lots of little annoying quirks because it was the first model year of the new platform.

My Bluetooth connectivity is garbage and my driver information screen looks more dated. Plus, some people had issues with pre-ignition and engine mounts failing on 2015s. I’ve not had any serious issues and I’m at 75k miles now, so it’s not that the 2015 WRX is bad, it’s just quirky.

If you want the classic “boxer rumble” you going to have to purchase a WRX that is 2014 or older with an EJ platform engine and unequal length headers. These engines have historically had head gasket and ring land issues, but with proper maintenance and tuning this can be mitigated. The same is true for the new platform as well.

Whatever you decide on, get something you are going to love. I personally plan to upgrade when the STI switches to the FA platform after about 2-3 years of production to work all the bugs out. Best of luck with your purchase!

·
19,727 Posts
The Viper V10 is virtually the worst engine of modern times. It should never have existed after 1973.

Stupid heavy, miserable power density, and sucks more fuel than an A10 Warthog, and runs hotter than the pits of hell. The Viper chassis is brilliant -- too bad it wasn't offered with a Gen IV SBC.
I had to dig this up somewhere but I finally found it.

They test a Viper vs. an S4. The results were predictable even though the S4 is decades old tech. The Viper was out of its league in straight line acceleration and cornering. It does look cool though.

·
Æternum
15,863 Posts
I had to dig this up somewhere but I finally found it.

They test a Viper vs. an S4. The results were predictable even though the S4 is decades old tech. The Viper was out of its league in straight line acceleration and cornering. It does look cool though.

1. Do you speak Deutsche?
2. To be fair, this is comparing a street car against full-on race cars with gearbox and engine that require a rebuild every 20 hours or so.
3. That's entertainment!

·
19,727 Posts
Leider verstehe ich nur sehr wenig Deutsch.

The S4 driver is responsible for several chassis making routine appearances in tarmac hill climb events. They all pop and puff and you can hear their gears whine — they sound like an electric car is exploding. Kinda fun.

·
Æternum
15,863 Posts
Leider verstehe ich nur sehr wenig Deutsch.

The S4 driver is responsible for several chassis making routine appearances in tarmac hill climb events. They all pop and puff and you can hear their gears whine — they sound like an electric car is exploding. Kinda fun.
Hill climb = Entertainment

Also makes me recognize just how mediocre my driving ability truly is. Outstanding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts