Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 2017 wrx in New York, Long Island more specifically. Anyone have any good suggestions for winter tires that will fit the stock rims and summer tires that are 255 or 265 to fit an 18 x 9.5 riM. Any and all suggestions and opinions welcome .

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,919 Posts
For winters, I run 245/40/18 Falken Eurowinters HS449. They're well priced. I use them in lower Michigan. They are considered a performance winter tire.

Pros: Excellent dry and wet traction. Fairly quiet. Not much compromise on handling/steering/ride. Great slushy snow traction. Good light snow traction.

Cons: A little lumpy the first few miles when it's really cold, but eventually smooth out. Hard packed snow/ice traction is just average for a winter tire.

These tires have impressive grip for a winter tire when it's dry/wet...must emphasize that. They're not as good as a true snow tire in the deep stuff, but I've never had a stuck situation yet even in last year's brutal winter.

As for summers...still running stock ones, but I would look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I like my General Altimax Arctics. They are great "snow" tires but leave a little to be desired for dry road traction at higher speeds and corners.

Also still running the stock Dunlop summers.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've been using firestone winterforce for the last 5 winters on Long Island. On cold dry pavement that are ok.. On warmer winter days they are mushy and out geeks like your driving on marshmallows. They are great in snow and ice so that makes up for the crummy warm weather ride. I had no problem last January in that blizzard we had driving on an unplowed sunrise highway. Not sure if they come in a size that will fit oem wheels tho. Really any dedicated winter tire you will be happy with especially of you've driven on summers on the snow.

Summers I can't help you with.. I'm still rocking oem Dunlop rubber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts