ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be going out of town for at least a month maybe more and would like to know what the best way is to store the wrx?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm going to be going out of town for at least a month maybe more and would like to know what the best way is to store the wrx?
I would suggest having someone run the car a couple times a month. Maybe take it around the block every once in a while, especially if it's going to be sitting there over a month.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
fuel stabilizer (sta-bil is the brand I use), disconnect battery (after following sta-bil's procedures), and jack tires off the ground enough to take some weight off of them (to prevent flat spots)

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Got a garage where you can put it?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I would suggest having someone run the car a couple times a month. Maybe take it around the block every once in a while, especially if it's going to be sitting there over a month.
He's in san diego, probably at 32nd street ns, mcrd, or mmcas, so my guess is.. he's going on a float, and none of his buddies will be around (at least that he trusts) to take it around the block.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You can keep it in my driveway, I promise I'll keep it running good for you. :tongue:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not going over seas, just have to travel due to a family emergency and will be out of town at least a month. So I'll use some stabilizer, disconnect the battery, and take weight off the tires. I do have a garage and can hook a battery tender if that helps.

FalleN kind of a long drive for me to leave in in your driveway sorry lol

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
That's true.....well I'm here if you need me bud! lol

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Also don't provide your address & the fact that you will be away from your house on the interwebs, if you want to find your car there when you get back.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also don't provide your address & the fact that you will be away from your house on the interwebs, if you want to find your car there when you get back.
True but doesn't mean there won't be someone there watching the house, but I do catch you drift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You don't need fuel stabilizer, or to take weight off the tires for just a month of storage. They're radial tires, they'll be fine. Just park the car...no need to do anything.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
You don't need fuel stabilizer, or to take weight off the tires for just a month of storage. They're radial tires, they'll be fine. Just park the car...no need to do anything.
it's the "or more" that had me going down the sta-bil and jack route

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
You absolutely need fuel stabilizer, especially with californian fuel.. I recommend star tron or K100 as they also treat ethanol. Your radial tires especially oem will absolutely also get flat spots.. Def hook up a battery tender.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
it's the "or more" that had me going down the sta-bil and jack route
Regardless... Todays fuel is garbage and thanks to the changing mfg process on tires over seas they are going the same direction. You are correct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You absolutely need fuel stabilizer, especially with californian fuel.. I recommend star tron or K100 as they also treat ethanol. Your radial tires especially oem will absolutely also get flat spots.. Def hook up a battery tender.
My STi sat for 4 months before I got back to the states. No fuel stabilizer, no jackstands, no nothing. The factory RE070's did not flat spot either. My engine didn't blow up, my tires didn't flat spot, nothing.

You DO NOT need to use fuel stabilizer for a month of storage, or to put the car on jackstands. I recently got a friends car running so it would be ready when he got back from Afghanistan. I hooked up the battery, it cranked over like normal and fired right up like it hadn't been sitting for the past 8 months. Check tire pressure, roll on down the road. It was fine.

Bias ply tires can flat spot like crazy...radials, not so much. Even if the tires did flat spot, you know it doesn't do much, right? Some of you are so worried about flat spotting your tires, but WTF do you think happens to your tires when you hit bumps and potholes at 75MPH on the freeway?!?!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies, it could be more than a month the month was just the least I will be gone.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My STi sat for 4 months before I got back to the states. No fuel stabilizer, no jackstands, no nothing. The factory RE070's did not flat spot either. My engine didn't blow up, my tires didn't flat spot, nothing.

You DO NOT need to use fuel stabilizer for a month of storage, or to put the car on jackstands. I recently got a friends car running so it would be ready when he got back from Afghanistan. I hooked up the battery, it cranked over like normal and fired right up like it hadn't been sitting for the past 8 months. Check tire pressure, roll on down the road. It was fine.

Bias ply tires can flat spot like crazy...radials, not so much. Even if the tires did flat spot, you know it doesn't do much, right? Some of you are so worried about flat spotting your tires, but WTF do you think happens to your tires when you hit bumps and potholes at 75MPH on the freeway?!?!
SnobbySTI fits this response extremely well. Some of us just prefer to love on our cars and ensure nothing bad could happen. Personally when I was gone for a month I had a friend drive it a couple times but other than that I wasn't too worried. If it wasn't going to be driven at all I would have taken some precautions

1 - 20 of 23 Posts