ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '11 Wrx for a little over a month now. my first turbo and I love when it spools up, but hate the wait. what's my best mod to decrease the lag and or broaden my power band?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
To increase response would involve increasing the diameter of your exhaust system, more efficient boost control like the electronic boost controller solenoid from grimmspeed and of course going externally wastegated. with an external wastegate there is less turbulence and more efficient and fast boost response.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
ECU remap. Whether you add parts (e.g., TBE) in conjunction to further decrease spool / broaden the powerband is up to you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
P&P the turbo and exhaust manifolds. Plus a turbo blanket.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Heat control. Pull the heat shields off the crossover pipe and up-pipe and wrap them. Fit a turbo blanket.

Aftermarket downpipe. You'll need a stage 2 tune to go with this. Ask your tuner to pay special attention to getting you the best early torque possible. There are some tricks which help, at the expenses of fuel consumption. Many tuners will compromise a little in this area if you don't express a preference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may be a little late, but I purchased the Cobb Access Port. Flashed the ECU to Stage 1 93 octane. That transformed the throttle response and eliminated most of the turbo lag. Just ordered a Perrin turbo blanket and hope to remove the last vestiges of turbo lag. But the Cobb AP is the by far the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Unless you consider the fact that you could have gotten someone to flash an open source stage one map for free.
Agreed... though i'm no expert with the Subarus, I have owned 2 AP's and they are really great tool to have and do a lot of nice stuff... but for 600 you could have a DP, a stage 2 TP map and the cable to flash it. A laptop isn't as convienient as an AP, but it can also do a lot with the software.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
AP sure is convenient. Of course you don't even have to own a laptop or cable to flash an open source map.. I've flashed stage two maps for a few people around here for next to nothing. AP will only work for one car.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I havent noticed much lag with these cars and people i have talked to say they have very little not none

·
Registered
42 Posts
AP sure is convenient. Of course you don't even have to own a laptop or cable to flash an open source map.. I've flashed stage two maps for a few people around here for next to nothing. AP will only work for one car.
Hi, I live in Denton also :wave:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately my Tactrix 1.3U cable only works with older Imprezas. :p

I'm about to be moving to Austin too..
Ok, bye!

Kidding aside. With the Tactrix cable, I know that you can download the original tune and reflash it back up if you need to. But do you know if the dealers will know that it was flashed back? I read that the AP is able to get rid of all the footprints...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Ok, bye!

Kidding aside. With the Tactrix cable, I know that you can download the original tune and reflash it back up if you need to. But do you know if the dealers will know that it was flashed back? I read that the AP is able to get rid of all the footprints...

Then you read wrong.. It's always a good idea to first read the map that is on the car and save it to your computer before you start messing around with stuff. There is a serial number (or something like that) that is specific to every ECU. This number is changed when you flash the map, whether you do it with an AP, or a laptop.. pretty much the same thing (but laptops can do a lot more than an AP). Even if you flash the stock map back, that number is still going to be different than it was originally. Although it's highly doubtful that any dealership would have the ability, or motivation to try to figure out what your original ECU code was and compare it to what is currently on your ECU.

In fact, nearly all of the dozen Subaru dealerships I've dealt with in the past wouldn't even know if you had a stage two map on the car when they were looking at it.. so I don't really see what the big deal is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts