Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was also looking to do an Uppipe on my 04 WRX. Should I go with an aftermarket or gut a spare stock one (not my original one)? Which aftermarket ones are the best? I was looking at HKS and Godspeed, but I don't know how good they are and really have no experience with uppipes. Will installing one throw CEL or give me a leaking problem, these are very common problems I hear people reporting after an uppipe install. Any help or experiences with them will help. Thanx

P.S.- should I do this before a ECU upgrade or can I wait on the uppipe for a little while longer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just got my HKS uppipe installed along with a cat-back exhaust and have no CEL. It makes a hell of a difference and i do suggest it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just ordered a sti, I think flex is the only way to go if you are worried about leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed my Perrin up pipe and down pipe. The best quality I have ever scene and no check engine lights. My car feels a lot faster and you can hear the turbo spool up!!!

Silva

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you are comfortable with gutting your stock one, go for it.
If you take care of your stock EGT sensor it should not throw a code.
Visual inspection wise it is the same as stock. It's cat does not play a big role in reducing emissions, it's only for start up emissions.

Yes, you should get it done before reflashing the computer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone think that a Subaru service shop will make a big deal out me having an aftermarket uppipe installed on the car or will they even be able to really even notice it? In other words, will they void my warranty for doing this? I heard Subaru is real strict on mods, they don't let you do any:( . I really want to gut a factory one out but I have two issues with that:
1. I am totally afraid of not get it completely clean and having something get into the turbo and destroy it.
2. I am actually bit of a procrastinater and will probably never finish gutting it this year :D
Is gutting a factory one worth the trouble or should I just save myself some time and get an aftermarket? I just don't want to void my warranty if I don't have to.

One more thing, I also have heard a few people complaining that the threads on the sensor and in the bung have been crossthreaded (Accidentally or purposely, I don't know) from the factory. Is this true or has been a few isolated cases. Thanx again:)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't think 90% of the subaru dealerships would care if you had an uppipe, and if you get a STI pipe my guess is they would never know. Also I doubt the factory cross threaded the uppipes, mine wasn't, but after a shop re-installed it in a aftermarket uppipe, they did, and then it was a pain to take out again and had to replace it with a new egt sensor (like 60 bucks).

·
Registered
5 Posts
In America we are protected with laws in situations like this. THey cant void your warranty because of something you added. They can refuse to fix something if they feel that your part caused the problem, but they legally cant void your warranty for just adding an uppipe.

·
Banned
601 Posts
"I don't think 90% of the subaru dealerships would care if you had an uppipe, and if you get a STI pipe my guess is they would never know."

I am one to argue about everything:)... Here goes. If you want to keep your warranty, don't mod out your car. It's that simple. I totally disagree that 90% of the shops would do warranty work on any moving part if they knew you installed an uppipe. By adding anything to your car that makes it accelerate faster than stock, you are putting more wear on all of the moving parts when you drive your car hard... If you say that you didn't mod your car, and the dealerships sees bolts which have wear on them, that shouldn't have wear because they never removed those bolts, you can be suide for fraud(which is what you commit when you lie to the dealer and get service).

I know that if a window stops workin it isn't cause of the uppipe and should be under warranty, but if you end up having an engine, turbo, tranny problem after installing anything to make your car go faster, it is your fault...... Obviously they can choose what they do, so if you wanna get an uppipe, then check with the dealer and have them install it if you wanna keep your warranty. I also wouldn't plan on getting any warranty work done at any dealership except the one you checked with...

peace

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just Wondering...

Say you do aftermarket modifications and something goes wrong with the engine, tranny, turbo, ect. They won't fix it under warrenty but will they still take cash to fix it or do they not want to touch it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got my TurboXS uppipe today, it's one nice piece. Cast iron for superior heat conduction (this thing has some WEIGHT!), anodized to prevent corrosion, 1/2" flanges, plus an EGT bung. Can't wait to install!

·
Registered
446 Posts
My dealership is cool with it, I would suggest asking your dealership. I asked mine, and they basically told me that as long as whatever I change does cause any problems, your good. I told them I would only be doing exhaust mods, no big turbos or anything, "no problem." I was really concerned because I bought the extended warranty. They even asked me if I autocrossed it yet and I told them "No," they asked me "Why not? You should try it out." I figure if I need more than 300hp, I should get an STI. Anything beyond 300 hp, reliability could be an issue. My $.02

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hippy78 said:
"I don't think 90% of the subaru dealerships would care if you had an uppipe, and if you get a STI pipe my guess is they would never know."

I am one to argue about everything:)... Here goes. If you want to keep your warranty, don't mod out your car. It's that simple. I totally disagree that 90% of the shops would do warranty work on any moving part if they knew you installed an uppipe. By adding anything to your car that makes it accelerate faster than stock, you are putting more wear on all of the moving parts when you drive your car hard... If you say that you didn't mod your car, and the dealerships sees bolts which have wear on them, that shouldn't have wear because they never removed those bolts, you can be suide for fraud(which is what you commit when you lie to the dealer and get service).

I know that if a window stops workin it isn't cause of the uppipe and should be under warranty, but if you end up having an engine, turbo, tranny problem after installing anything to make your car go faster, it is your fault...... Obviously they can choose what they do, so if you wanna get an uppipe, then check with the dealer and have them install it if you wanna keep your warranty. I also wouldn't plan on getting any warranty work done at any dealership except the one you checked with...

peace
Well I had my clutch replaced by my dealer with my Uppipe (my old one before it started leaking)/IC Hoses/Axel Back. Even the guy their said my mods were fine. Their is also a dealership nearby that is even more leanient (sp?) so I don't think you should worry with just a uppipe. Now if you swap out your turbo, well thats a different story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts