ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the best Turbo upgrade I could do to get to 350 whp in my 2012 wrx. I have the Cobb Intake, Invidia Downpipe, SPT Catback. And was wondering what bolt on would help me get to 350 whp. I have been looking at the blouch 16g xt Turbo because that was a good upgrade for my 2005 when I had it and idk if it would be that much help on a 2012.

Also was wondering what else i would need. Like a fuel pump, injectors, etc.....

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I was wondering what is the best Turbo upgrade I could do to get to 350 whp in my 2012 wrx. I have the Cobb Intake, Invidia Downpipe, SPT Catback. And was wondering what bolt on would help me get to 350 whp. I have been looking at the blouch 16g xt Turbo because that was a good upgrade for my 2005 when I had it and idk if it would be that much help on a 2012.

Also was wondering what else i would need. Like a fuel pump, injectors, etc.....

Thanks,
Nathan
You'll need some fuel system upgrades. At a minimum I'd suggest some larger injectors - if you have e85 available this should be a consideration when buying injectors. I am not too experienced with fuel pumps (and hence do not know the stockers limitations), but most upgrade those as well. Fuel rails/Fuel Pressure Regulator stuff is WRX specific I think and I'm not familiar on that. I know I'll be swapping all 4 things (rails/pump/fpr/pump) when I do my upgrade before I throw a bigger turbo in. I bet you could get away with just injectors and a pump though. Ordinary people would probably consider the rails/fpr borderline overkill.

for 350whp, you are looking way larger than a 16gxt. I'd say you are in at least the 18g realm. I'd say a 20gxt or a DOM1.5xtr would be able to make those numbers safely on pump gas. If you aren't too concerned with numbers, an 18gxt will get you close and spool a bit quicker than the 20gxt I guess. I'm personally not very familiar with the AMR series Kronos caries - nothing against them by any means, I just haven't read into them at all. Good vendor though and has been good with suggestions in the past.

May want to look into a turbo inlet while you are in there as well. I dunno how the WRX one works. I know the STi it becomes a restriction pretty quickly.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The 16G-XT would not be a good upgrade.

Blouch 440XT:
Subaru Legacy GT 440XT Turbocharger

Be sure to get the 8cm exhaust housing.

Minimum supporting modifications:
TBE
Fuel pump
Injectors
TMIC
BPV
BCS, MBC, or both
Retune

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Minimum supporting modifications:
TBE
Fuel pump
Injectors
TMIC
BPV
BCS, MBC, or both
Retune
Aye, forgot about the intercooler/boost control/bpv. Good call Matt.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
figure out what tuner you're going to have do the final work on the car.. and ask him/her what they prefer for mods to make those numbers. As mentioned, you'll need more than just a turbo and the tune is imperative.

Lots of info on the net.. look around and you shall find.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Heide264 said:
May want to look into a turbo inlet while you are in there as well. I dunno how the WRX one works. I know the STi it becomes a restriction pretty quickly.
If the inlet is like older models, it'd be a good idea to have one on hand, in case the OE one tears during removal, which they were prone to doing.

The stock airbox will be more of a restriction than the inlet. A buddy runs the stock airbox with a 20G, and it definitely chokes him up top.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
Unless you're going to a big MAF and inlet, the stock inlet is not a restriction compared to the Polyurethane inlet. As Matthew has stated, the issue lies in the fragility of the OE inlet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts