Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do all of you think is the best turbo for the Auto?
I'm looking at which one comes on full boost the quickes, holds to redline pretty well, and comes on boost quickly if you punch it.
so far it looks like it's between:

VF34

VF35

Small 16g

Sr-30

Tell me what you guys all think thanks in advance :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
IMHO,

VF35 would be the best street turbo. Fast spool-up with some of VF30's topend.

You might want to look into some stock hybrid turbos.

Ion Performance seems to offer a nice alternative to the IHI series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I ahve experience with the Vf-35 and Vf-34... The vf-35 turbo absolutely SUCKS... yeah it spools fast, but it has NO power up top, Hoenstly it felt just like the stock turbo to me... The VF-34 spooled quick and gave a GREAT midrange punch, i would go with that.


Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
While shopping around take a look at the VF24. You'll maybe need a quick spooling turbo with a strong bottom end- given the automatics shift points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
RobPA said:
I ahve experience with the Vf-35 and Vf-34... The vf-35 turbo absolutely SUCKS... yeah it spools fast, but it has NO power up top, Hoenstly it felt just like the stock turbo to me... The VF-34 spooled quick and gave a GREAT midrange punch, i would go with that.


Rob
Funny, when I met you at a Philly meet, you were singing the praises of the VF35... :confused:

-Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know a turbo that spools just as fast or faster then the vf34 but also creates more hp and can hold more boost till redline?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Check out the threads on FP 18G over at nasioc.

Dyno charts show similar spool up with the VF30, but with significantly stronger top end.

Although, I think the car was tuned with race gas. From what I remember, there wasn't much difference between the two turbos in power when using pump gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
dookiebob said:
Funny, when I met you at a Philly meet, you were singing the praises of the VF35... :confused:

-Bob


Changed my mind after having it for a week. You had the black plain WRX with sti badges on it right? just cosmetic mods?? When did yah get the stage 4? Yeah, after using that turbo for a week, i really started to notice how crappy it was.. It blew running 18 psi, burned itself out. I really really noticed how crappy it was when i got the vf-34 and it felt sooooo much better.


Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
16g has a little better top end whilst 34 has a better spool AND close topend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
RobPA said:
16g has a little better top end whilst 34 has a better spool AND close topend
For street driving and reliability, the VF34 is the best turbo for the auto WRX.

Rob is very hard on turbos, the VF35 is an excellent turbo for a non-nitrous, stock TC WRX. the VF35 spools INCREDIBLY fast, but can't do what Rob wanted it to do. It delivers better topend than the stock turbo by a decent margin and more reliably.

There are many types of 16g turbos, all of them have to be modified to fit the WRX (IHI style exhaust housing). I'd say the VF34 is a better bolt-on choice for the stoplight racer.

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
The stock turbo is just fine for the auto. You want the faster spooler out there and I don't think anything comes close to the stocker.

joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
The stock turbo is fine and has a quick spool but you can't compare it to lets say the vf34 or vf22. Yeah there is more lag but you more than make up for it in the power you get. If you don't care about 1/4 times or don't race then the stock turbo is fine, but for me, i am addicted to power. My vf22 is on its way :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
bunot said:
GT3037.....accept no substitutes.

jason

Do not get this turbo with an automatic wrx unless you are at least pushing a stroker or have an extremely high stall. I had this turbo along with a axis racing 2.4 stroker motor and i couldent even get a brake torque cause the thing dident spool till about 100 rpm above my stall, i would only be launching at 3 psi, and once booste hits its so violent that your car will go sideways ;) But its deffenitely very laggy, and i would not even consider that turbo unless your have a stroked motor or a dogbox/custom built Auto.



Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
RobPA said:
Do not get this turbo with an automatic wrx unless you are at least pushing a stroker or have an extremely high stall. I had this turbo along with a axis racing 2.4 stroker motor and i couldent even get a brake torque cause the thing dident spool till about 100 rpm above my stall, i would only be launching at 3 psi, and once booste hits its so violent that your car will go sideways ;) But its deffenitely very laggy, and i would not even consider that turbo unless your have a stroked motor or a dogbox/custom built Auto.



Rob
ah....but i have nitrous to help with the lag.

out of curiosity, what was your best time with that axis motor/gt3037?

jason
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top