• Yokohama Parada Spec-2

Votes: 5 6.6%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best Tire Poll

The Purpose of these poll is to inform me or anybody esle who wants to know that they think is the best all aorund, drag or autox tire

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I still hold and vote on my Avon ZZ1 tires! :p

ADDED NOTES
Just noticed the Avon ZZ1 tires are not easy to find on the internet, for any information at all! I found a few random things here and there, but not much in English.
They seem to be popular with the Euro cars though...

Avon's site has some information though.
http://www.avontyres.com/passenger.asp?id=144

Hopefully that might give you some idea...
As far as my own experience... They're totally awesome on dry and wet. Fantastic grip, and I have to try very hard to get these to lose any grip on the road at all.

Well, I now leave the suspension area for probably about the next year! As I have little to say, and very little to ask, as I am too poor to upgrade anything! :(
Any questions on these, PM me.

~ Dan (Zapix)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
You've got a lot of "different" tires. Major differences between KD and KDW, besides price- KD's probably the stickiest street tire made (at the sacrafice of wet traction). You don't have the Toyo T1S probably the best balance between wet/dry traction of the bunch (S03 is in there too). T1's are light too, average a couple lbs lighter than comparable sized tires.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I personally have the Toyos, they have been great and they offer a suprisingly high amount of traction in the rain. My friend has the Yoko Pradas and he really likes them. I have driven his car and I think the toyos are better in wet, but the Pradas are so good on the dry.

The worst tire on the pole has to be the Goodyear Eagle F1. Sure they offer good traction, but thier lifespan just sucks!!!. My freind had them and after about 5,000 miles chunks started to come out of them!! they are like freaking pencil erasers.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Yeah they are almost freakish in the wet. Last year I drove from MT to St. Louis and hit a freak snow storm in the Black Hills (not an endorsement for snow tire), torrential downpours for hours at a time on the way down and back- they were simply amazing. Personally I think the T1's give away dry traction to only two tires- the KD's and the Falcan Azeni's. Ofcourse the T1's outperform them in the wet:) .

Big Sky

·
Registered
117 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Yeah they are almost freakish in the wet. Last year I drove from MT to St. Louis and hit a freak snow storm in the Black Hills (not an endorsement for snow tire), torrential downpours for hours at a time on the way down and back- they were simply amazing. Personally I think the T1's give away dry traction to only two tires- the KD's and the Falcan Azeni's. Ofcourse the T1's outperform them in the wet:) .

Big Sky
I agree

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I would take off the nitto's and put the toyos on but I can't some mod got to do it sorry guys.

FF

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Done

·
Registered
444 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Personally I think the T1's give away dry traction to only two tires- the KD's and the Falcan Azeni's. Ofcourse the T1's outperform them in the wet:)
I take it you rate dry traction best-to-worst as follows:
KD
Azenzi
T1

Are KDs different for rt/lf tires? The only 225/45/17 KDs I found at Tirerack are specific rt/lf and $30 more than S03!

Tirerack doesn't carry Falcons, it looks like.

I figure your climate is very similar to mine - not much rain, and rarely heavy rain like back East.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Correct KD's the stickiest, Azeni's next- then probably a wash between the S03's, T1's, Pilot Sports, PZero Nero's.

The Azeni's are cheap, but heavy- not the best in wet.
The KD's are expensive (real expensive), wear not the best- not the best in the wet either.

I think the S03's, T1's, PS's, Nero's are pretty close dry/wet, they give some in the dry, but make up for it in wet (if one is concerned about wet). We don't get a lot rain, but what we do get tends to be on the violent (heavy/fast) side, thus my concern about wet.

I like the T1's because they are light (a couple of lbs lighter than the S03 for example), I am currently looking at the Nero's for a replacement- just to try something different. They are also light, not quite T1 light , but close.

The other tire not mentioned is the Kuhmo MX- I think it is closer to the stick of the KD, Azeni's w/ maybe a little better wet than those two. The price is right on these as well- a little over $100 for 225/50/16's. My buddy just got these tires and am going to see how they perform- I haven't ruled these out.

Big Sky

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had SO3's on two different cars, and I'm fixin to put a set on my wife's accord. I love them, dry and wet. At the same time though, I would recomend to everyone to stay away from any type of goodyear tire. Personally, I think that goodyear should just stop making tires completely. Everyone on the roads would be that much safer if they would.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Come on you trying to tell me that out of the damn near 300 people to visit this treand only 29 of you voted???

FF

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Flat_four said:
Come on you trying to tell me that out of the damn near 300 people to visit this treand only 29 of you voted???

FF
The other 271 are still on their 92's:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
O.k. I'll enter the two cents market. I live in NJ and I do need a new set for the STI that is currently on order due around june/july because there is no way that I am going into fall and winter with the summer radials that SOA is putting on the car. But at 17" the price goes up also. Looking around at tirerack, and talking to a guy that i have gotten tires from for years the so3s are good and kumho got votes. yokohama avs is also supposed to be a good wet/dry low noise tire. But never used it.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
S03's or Khumo's (MX or 712) won't likely cut it for fall/winter- they're summer performance tires also. You'll have to look at either "true" winter tires- NRW's/Blizzak's or go to a "all-season" tire. The disadvantage of an all-season tire is it's a compromise- not so good as a performance tire, not so good as a winter tire.

There may be one tire worth looking at- it's realtively new- the Nokina NRZi. It's a Z-rated tire that evidently was developed for rougher roads/cold and wet conditions. This may be worth exploring.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
afpdl said:
Why arent Azenis on the list? For the price they are hard to beat for dry traction.
They definitely should be on the list. Their dry traction is second only to the much higher priced (almost double) KD's.

Big Sky

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I only could post ten tires but if big sky want to take off one of the lower count tires for the Azenis I have no problem with that. After all this trend is by the people for the people (Wink)

FF

·
Registered
932 Posts
Another vote for Azeni Sports. I just ran my first autocross in them, and it took me till the last (7th run) to begin to get accustomed to them. I'm so used to my old Kumho 712s that I kept braking unnecessarily, expecting the traction to break. It was hard to even get the tires squealing.

For the money, you can't get better dry traction. I don't see many people with KDs at autcrosses. Given their price, most people seem to prefer just having an extra set of R compounds.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts