ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on an '06 wagon........I don't want to drop the ride so much as to rub or bottom out but I do want a little better handling. So far I have read that the Mach V's are the best with the stock struts but I just wanted some confirmation from folks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
on an '06 wagon........I don't want to drop the ride so much as to rub or bottom out but I do want a little better handling. So far I have read that the Mach V's are the best with the stock struts but I just wanted some confirmation from folks.
Mach Vs are good springs at a great price and many wagon owners have been very happy with them. However, they are a spring designed for the WRX Sedan that works for the Wagon. Thus, I would also consider a wagon specific spring such as the Swift Sports (part #4F903).

04+ WRX Wagon Springs Turn In Concepts

or

Swift Sport Springs / Subaru WRX 2004-2007 - Modern Automotive Performance

Both, TIC and MA Performance are excellent vendors that offer free shipping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
c2bcoolwrx; said:
Good, glad you like em. I am gonna install a set on my sedan soon (just sitting in my garage waiting to be installed along with some other goodies).
Def get an alignment afterwards. It felt fine but accd to my tuner it was waaaaaaay off

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 06 sedan and I was also checking out springs. I am looking into either Epic Engineering WRX Lowering Springs:

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Epic Engineering Lowering Springs, 2004-2007 WRX
for $299 shipped OR

Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, 2002-2007 WRX

for $240 shipped.

Car is primarily used as a DD. I enjoy some spirited non-paved action (hunting for dirt roads upon which to play) and will eventually autocross it or rally it a little in the future....but thats when I will get coils.

For now, winter is approaching. I like that the springs only lower the car ~1-1.5" as the weather gets worse and I also like that they are cost effective in that I can simply put them on my stock struts. My only concern is that my car has 83k highway miles on the struts, I believe they are the originals. Is this a concern? I will most likely get coils in late 2010, early 2011, but my handling issues and stance issues need to be addressed immediately.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I have the Mach Vs, which are similar to the prodrives, and I'm very happy with them. HUGE difference in handling. I also replaced my struts with the kyb GR2 at the same time. They'll only drop your car slightly.

Mach V Springs (04-07 WRX) - Springs & Shocks
the MachV's are strictly for looks.. their spring rates are just barely more than stock. The ProDrives drop about the same, but have much higher spring rates (but are still fine on stock struts), and handle much better.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What about RCE Yellows (or Blacks?) ...I'm planning on getting the Yellows. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
the MachV's are strictly for looks.. their spring rates are just barely more than stock. The ProDrives drop about the same, but have much higher spring rates (but are still fine on stock struts), and handle much better.
I would argue the part about them being strictly for looks. The body roll reduced substantially. Many reviews that I looked at before purchasing them reported better handling as well. I won't argue that prodrive will offer better handling, but for a good DD spring the Mach V serves it's purpose well. I couldn't find prodrives anywhere either... but I was probably too lazy to track some down. :tongue:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have an 06 sedan and I was also checking out springs. I am looking into either Epic Engineering WRX Lowering Springs:

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Epic Engineering Lowering Springs, 2004-2007 WRX
for $299 shipped OR

Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, 2002-2007 WRX

for $240 shipped.

For now, winter is approaching. I like that the springs only lower the car ~1-1.5" as the weather gets worse and I also like that they are cost effective in that I can simply put them on my stock struts. My only concern is that my car has 83k highway miles on the struts, I believe they are the originals. Is this a concern? I will most likely get coils in late 2010, early 2011, but my handling issues and stance issues need to be addressed immediately.
Stock struts tend to start failing at ~80k miles, so yours are most likely on their last legs. I would definitely put new struts on (i.e. KYB GR2s) when you do the springs.

As for the springs...I would take the Epic over the Eibach. The Eibach Prokit springs are kind of whishy washy in that they don't really offer much of a performance gain over the stockers. The Epics will offer the "look" along with the increased handling performance.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have to disagree.

Mach Vs are rated at 175/116-156

Prodrives are rated at 175/175

The Mach Vs are designed after the prodrives and I believe the newer Prodrives (04+ WRX version) are also progressive rear. So the front rates are the same, but the Prodrives have the higher rear rate (or more specifically higher ultimate rear rate).

For a reference of various springs/rates/drop/etc.: Shocks/struts

·
Registered
4 Posts
how will the epic engineering work with KYB GR2s? Or if i am looking into aftermarket struts, should I look at other springs as well? The prodrives come very recommended to me and also the EE springs are engineered by the antonellis, same people who did prodrive springs. They are supposedly improved as well.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I have to disagree.

Mach Vs are rated at 175/116-156

Prodrives are rated at 175/175

The Mach Vs are designed after the prodrives and I believe the newer Prodrives (04+ WRX version) are also progressive rear. So the front rates are the same, but the Prodrives have the higher rear rate (or more specifically higher ultimate rear rate).

For a reference of various springs/rates/drop/etc.: Shocks/struts
I stand corrected...

·
Registered
36 Posts
how much of a drop do both the prodrive and mach v offers

are they going to have the ass sag on wagons

i only ask b/c i am too looking for lowering springs on my 06 wagon and not quite sure on which to purchase

i do plan on purchasing coilovers but that is not until the far future

just looking to eliminate wheel gap

·
Registered
834 Posts
how will the epic engineering work with KYB GR2s? Or if i am looking into aftermarket struts, should I look at other springs as well? The prodrives come very recommended to me and also the EE springs are engineered by the antonellis, same people who did prodrive springs. They are supposedly improved as well.
The Epic Engineering Springs are designed to be used with the stock WRX struts. KYB GR2s are 10-15% more firmly dampened than stock WRX struts. So, yes GR2s will pair very nicely with the EE springs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
how much of a drop do both the prodrive and mach v offers

are they going to have the ass sag on wagons

i only ask b/c i am too looking for lowering springs on my 06 wagon and not quite sure on which to purchase

i do plan on purchasing coilovers but that is not until the far future

just looking to eliminate wheel gap
For various springs/rates/drops check this chart: Springs/Shocks/struts

As for the ass sag...yes it is possible that the Prodrive Blues and Mach V Blues will have the rear ass sag because they are sedan springs. Sedan springs are a little bit shorter in the rear than wagon springs, thus causing the "saggy rear butt."

However, there is a fix for this saggy rear butt. Saggy rear butt spacers:

Saggy Butt Spacers - ..:::pARANOID FABRICATIONS:::...

My personal choice would be to use wagon springs. Swift Sports makes a great spring for the wagon. If you read through this entire thread this exact question was addressed on the 1st page and I actually recommended them to the OP and he is doing great with them (the OP also has a '06 WRX Wagon).

04+ WRX Wagon Swift Sport Springs - Turn In Concepts

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
What about RCE Yellows (or Blacks?) ...I'm planning on getting the Yellows. :)
1) Too stiff for stock dampers.

2) Both are designed for sedan (although I bought blacks for my wagon because they aren't turning out any more wagon springs at this time). They are supposed to be on by now but are still sitting in the garage so I don't know for sure if they sag :unhappy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts