ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into swapping my big winged trunk lid for the wingless trunk lid wondering where to get it. I figured the dealer would be pretty expensive. Anyone have any luck at a junk yard. What year would it have to be to bolt right on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
I believe your going to have to swap with another 2004. Anything you find at a junk yard you can expect to have to repaint unless your really lucky. I would imagine an 05 would also work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,023 Posts
I say post it in PFS to sell or trade with someone who has a wingless trunk. There are plenty of people out there who want the STi wing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
I just ordered an 05 STI and the dealer is getting me a wingless trunk lid from their parts dept and painting/swapping it on the car before I pick it up. Total cost for part and labor is about $500, but they worked it into the total price of the car for me. I am getting the car for just over $31,000 with the dimming mirror, upgraded alarm and wingless trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
before going to your local subie dealership, go to craigslist.org - see if you're city is listed, and post a wing swap if it is. i went to craigslist.org and pdxforsale.com (local portland, OR website) and posted a swap, and got several calls from people that wanted to trade for my wing. I called a body repair shop and they offered to swap them out for $80.00 total, for labor. i eventually decided to keep the wing, though - damn thing grew on me - now i kinda like it. and there's no question - when other jokers in their hondas and acuras (350Z, RX-8, Z-4, S-4, etc.) see the wing, they know it's an STi. And they usually have this look on their faces like, "**** - not gonna even try it". It's over even before they try to flex....

I like the bragging rights.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,156 Posts
jaybara said:
I just ordered an 05 STI and the dealer is getting me a wingless trunk lid from their parts dept and painting/swapping it on the car before I pick it up. Total cost for part and labor is about $500, but they worked it into the total price of the car for me. I am getting the car for just over $31,000 with the dimming mirror, upgraded alarm and wingless trunk.
wow. that's a great deal. nice job.


i'd post in the personal wanted forum. i think there's been more than a few WRX guys looking to swap w/ STi guys in the PFS forums as well.

dR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
snobnd said:
before going to your local subie dealership, go to craigslist.org - see if you're city is listed, and post a wing swap if it is. i went to craigslist.org and pdxforsale.com (local portland, OR website) and posted a swap, and got several calls from people that wanted to trade for my wing. I called a body repair shop and they offered to swap them out for $80.00 total, for labor. i eventually decided to keep the wing, though - damn thing grew on me - now i kinda like it. and there's no question - when other jokers in their hondas and acuras (350Z, RX-8, Z-4, S-4, etc.) see the wing, they know it's an STi. And they usually have this look on their faces like, "**** - not gonna even try it". It's over even before they try to flex....

I like the bragging rights.
See, I'd rather have them think it is a WRX and then prove otherwise. Maybe the wing would grow on me if I kept it but it will never grow on the police and I would rather not have them paying extra attention to me even when I'm not doing anything wrong. Plus, I like to see out my rear view mirror. :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want the RS look for the trunk to not attract attention from the police. I am going to keep the stock trunklid with wing just incase I decide to trade it in or sell it in the future. Thanks for all the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
My $0.02:

04 WRX's did not have a wing delete option. If you want an 04 lid, you'll either have to get a WRX w/ stock wing or a wingless RS w/ out wing. The only issue w/ the RS lid is it is not aluminum, as the WRX and STi ones are.

If you have white, WRB, or silver, you can get an 02 or 03 lid and they will work just fine on an 04/05 and will be the same color. The 04 and 05 blacks (and that new "gray"), unfortunately, will not be. Be aware that the blacks also differ from 04 to 05 as well.

The best option aside from finding someone to trade with would be to order a stock aluminum trunk lid from SOA (can be done at any dealership) and have it painted to match. Not cheap, but the easiest way. No matter what you do, be sure to get the right torsion bars for the new lid.. Unless you want to use your trunk as a catapult.

FWIW, I was thinking about doing this somehow as well, hence all the needless info. However, after not finding anyone to trade with, the cost issue of buying / painting a new wingless one, and considering the potential future value (if any) of the OEM USDM STi wing, I decided just to keep mine. Now I love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After hearing from eveyone I am starting to think about saving the money to be spent on performance and leaving the wing on. I'm getting to like the wing more and more everyday. Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
SleeperRacing said:
My $0.02:

04 WRX's did not have a wing delete option. If you want an 04 lid, you'll either have to get a WRX w/ stock wing or a wingless RS w/ out wing. The only issue w/ the RS lid is it is not aluminum, as the WRX and STi ones are.
FYI my 04 WRX came without a wing from factory. sorry to burst your bubble

<---see avatar
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top