ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rebuild my 5 speed in my race car, I always have a problem to determine which part numbers for gears, syncros, bearings, etc. to use for the rebuild. I am using a 2006 WRX case and want to build it (when necessary) with the best parts.

My local dealer can only chose parts using the car's VIN. I have no VIN for the transmission. So we go through a guessing game as to which part numbers to use.

Example:
5th gear syncro --- They sold me 32610AA100. After I installed it, they told me that that number is for a non-turbo.
but, there is also listed 32239AA050, 32239AA051, and 32239AA100. Perhaps for a turbo.

Question? Which would be the best syncro to use? What is the difference between these?

Anyone have a list of the best parts to use in a 5 speed? What is going on with these part number? Confusing!

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I can't help you with the VIN number/part number debacle (why is it that no dealership parts department knows how to find correct parts without having a computer tell them anymore?).

Although, you might want to look into Legacy GT 5MT parts. The LGT gearset is substantially stronger, whether or not there are differences in the syncros, bearings, shift forks, etc. I do not know.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Æternum
20,858 Posts
I remember your project :) Way cool.

The LGT gearset is substantially stronger
It's not substantially stronger at all. Andrewtech told me that LGT gears only hold a modest amount more torque than the 2003-2007 WRX transmission. And they estimated that this was only because the F/D of the LGT was 4.111:1 compared to the 3.9:1 F/D of the WRX.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Hmm.. at my shop they said the LGT gears are plenty good to 400WTQ, they have the same part numbers as my STi gears, and my final drive is still 3.9:1.. ??

·
Æternum
20,858 Posts
and my final drive is still 3.9:1.. ??
Right, because in your transmission, the gearset will still have a 3.9:1 F/D... this comes from your Input/Output shaft junction.

I don't know about the gears... it's all subjective. I've heard of people shredding LGT gears at 300wtq in WRX 5MT cases.

EDIT: Andrewtech might have been trying to upsell me another gearset, IDK.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Well yeah, people break gears driving off the lot. But the LGT set should be the strongest made by Subaru. They say generally LGT good for 400wtq, built PPG/Albins good for 450wtq, after that they recommend going to the six speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5 speed race transmission

Two Syncros.jpg

These two 5th gear syncros are both from WRX 5 speeds. The one in the foreground (without the sheet metal) looks to be much stronger than the other because it uses a different style blocking system instead of a circular brass ring syncro. Note: the one with the sheet metal has a broken hub. I pulled it out of my transmission. This syncro may be too weak for my engine with 550 whp and 476 ft-lbs torque.

Any info on these two? Which is better and stronger? Are there others that are stronger. Part number recommendations?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts