Subaru WRX Forum banner

Best octane booster over the counter?

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Eli 
#1 ·
Alright, folks, what is the best octane booster commonly available? Any to stear clear of either due to ruining your O2 sensor or cats, or just because they don't work? And finally, can a bottle of octane booster help out when you fill up with some rotten gas?

#4 ·
What's the story on Toluene (sp)? What's the recommended mixture? Where to get it? Effect on octane rating of fuel? What kind of boost is everyone running with the Toluene thrown into the equation?

Mahalo!
Richard...

#7 ·
Bozz Wrote:
Also, you mix 1 gallon of Toulene to about 16 gallons of 91/92 octane gasoline you will end up with about 94 or 95 octane.
Have you done this yourself?

A funnel, huh. I'm a prettyy messy guy. I gotta change my shirt every time I eat spaghetti. I can just see little stripes of paint missing below my filler door from me dripping toluene on the paint.

I'd still like to try it, though.

misterx

#10 ·
Hey, funny you mention Torco products. My friend's uncle is actually the owner or Torco. I use their oil in my WRX, it's great stuff. But their octane boost is the same as all the others. Toulene is a main ingredient in most store bought octane boosts. I prefer to use straight Toulene, since it's in it's purest form and a lot more potent than the store bought stuff.

You can actually make your own octane boost by combining a little ATF for detergency and a small amount of mineral oil or diesel fuel for lubricity. But that's too much trouble for me. I just use a 1 gallon can of straight Toulene. :D

#12 ·
Yeah same here. I just throw a gallon in there and seem to get about 94 octane since CA gas sucks but you have to figure out the true purity of the gas you put in your car then find a forumula of how the toulene increases the octane...but hell it's better when i'm running toulene than without...

#16 ·
AutoXJunkie said:
(AXJ does happy-dance)

A gas station local to me has just began selling 95 octane gas for all of $1.60/gallon. No paint thinner for me!! :D
Wow that's great...we get 92 octane for $1.70/gallon here :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.