ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 04 WRX and I just hit the 1k mi mark so I don't really want to slap some upgrades on that are going to throw away the warranty, but I'm getting very anxious to start having fun. Any suggestions for upgrades that don't void the warranty? I'm saving for wheels, and I've heard about the AP from Cobb, maybe a sway or strut bar?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I'm not going to get tires because I'm going to get 18" wheels so I I'll get tires then. I'm kind of skeptical about the the AccessPort, seems like it would push the engine harder than it should be. Why wouldn't Subaru just set the ECU to that if it could handle it? Any input?

·
Registered
154 Posts
um. I believe it is because subaru is ultra conservative with their tuning. I think that subarus tuning is solely based on long term reliability whereas AP is taking more of a middle ground. I don't really know a whole lot tho:confused1

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
crikreef said:
I'm kind of skeptical about the the AccessPort, seems like it would push the engine harder than it should be.
if you ever want more power, you're going to have to get over it. the accessport is a very safe and effective way of getting more power. of course, I am much more into the utec then the accessport, but both are good.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just to let you know if you want to go 18" I would go with better brakes, and stainless braided brake lines...those 18"s are just a lil bit more than the stock brakes can handle safely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ALT+F4 said:
Just to let you know if you want to go 18" I would go with better brakes, and stainless braided brake lines...those 18"s are just a lil bit more than the stock brakes can handle safely.
What kind of brakes and lines might you suggest?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
crikreef said:
What kind of brakes and lines might you suggest?
how much power will you be running as a reasonable goal? I know plans can change, but it should factor in somewhere. I am a very large fan of stoptech's. brembo's are always good, but very expensive. wilwood/perrin also makes a nice set. there are lots of options out there.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If the dealer finds out that you have an accessport, Ecutek, etc., any damage that can be attributed to the modified ECU might not be covered under warranty. The early stage engine management modifications have been reliable.

If you want to be absolutely safe, you can change tires, catback, endlinks, rear swaybar and intercooler hoses without worrying about your warranty.

·
Registered
109 Posts
maybe an STi Uppipe? looks stock but doesnt have a cat in it. faster spool with an increase in horsepower. pretty good if you ask me :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Snowvert said:
how much power will you be running as a reasonable goal?
I'm not going to be pushing the power too much for a while. I figure eventually I'll start to do exhaust, UP/DP, and some sort of ECU mod.

I was checking out that list of exhaust clips on a forum here and I really like the GReddy EVO and the TurboXS turboback but I can only find them in a single pipe. Do either of them offer twin pipe or does anyone know of a way to convert that is reasonable?

·
Registered
65 Posts
crikreef said:
Ya I'm not going to get tires because I'm going to get 18" wheels so I I'll get tires then. I'm kind of skeptical about the the AccessPort, seems like it would push the engine harder than it should be. Why wouldn't Subaru just set the ECU to that if it could handle it? Any input?
I have heard that Manufactures are required by law to some extent to tune the ecu for gas millage and emmisions before performance. Not really sure if it's completly true or not but it made sense the way it was explained to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
crikreef said:
I have heard that Manufactures are required by law to some extent to tune the ecu for gas millage and emmisions before performance. Not really sure if it's completly true or not but it made sense the way it was explained to me. I vote Accessport

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
AP is undetectable by subaru and is probably the best first mod. it will make your car run like its supposed to.

subaru is EXTREMELY conservative and theres alot more HP available vs what they say.

Cobb tunes very very safely and you wont be doing anything harmul by any means by running a stage one map on your car. they just tune it better and for particular octanes. all n' all its the best way to go IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts