Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a noobie on this whole thing, can someone tell me the different mods that i can do to a wrx...im looking into a wrx either sti or the regular 03 and make it up to a sti but i need some help with the parts...can anyone give me some good mods that will give me good style and good performance?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Top right hand corner of the screen, hit the search button or you can look through our archives.

Search for up-pipe, mbc, ic hoses, turboback exhaust, sway bars, endlinks, first mods, and also check out stages packages by Turbo XS, APS/Cobb, and Vishnu.

-joe

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quick answer:
Performance: UpPipe/DownPipe/BoosteController
Handling: New Tires, New Tires, New Tires, New Tires, New Tires
sway bars
Looks: Whatever you want

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added an AEM cold air intake, MRT turbo back exhaust , and gt spec headers. All of this cost $2300. Add that to the price of the WRX and I paid 26k for a car that can run with an STI. As far as I'm concerned I would rather have that money in my pocket than pay for about 5-6k for a badge.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
"As far as I'm concerned I would rather have that money in my pocket than pay for about 5-6k for a badge."

:eek:

For a badge!!!!!!

How about bullet-proof 6-speed tranny, dccd, better suspension all around including wheels and tires, seats, rear spoiler, better intercooler with better hoodscoop, and the list goes on and on and on. I do not need to list them all.....you may be able to go as fast as one in a straight line, but you have WAY less that an STI as far as overall car goes.

Sorry I had to lash out a bit, but your statement was not very accurate. New users may log on and read that and think the STI is the same as a WRX with turboback exhaust, headers, and an intake, plus some badges, it is surely not and if it is $32-33K, it will be worth every penny.

-joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
So maybe I got a little carried away yesterday, Just wanted to make a point that for the money you cant beat a regular WRX!

·
Registered
193 Posts
hmm ....... for me is the headlight
only the headlight makes WRX different from other car
morette or JDM light will do

·
Registered
165 Posts
A nube with no clue

I have an 2002 WRX. I'm a senior in high school so money is very tight. I just was wondering what mods would give me the most non-stock looking car for my money. I already have a Titanium short throw shifter that came as an option on the car and i have ordered a BOV basicly to hear the pshhhhhhh sound and to save the life of the turbo. I was thinking about getting a cold air intake to help out on gas milage and give me about 10 more horses. I'm not sure though so if anybody has any helpful info just IM me or reply. Thanks.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
forget the BOV and the CAI. waste of money, and will likely HURT performance.

with a 2002, you can use an MBC. i did with great results, but you realyl want to at least remove the uppipe cat before you do that, as bone stock, the WRX runs very high EGTs.

if you're on the cheap, gut the cat out yourself, rather than buying an aftermarket one. or grab one gutted from the personal for sale forum. there's a guy in there that sells them for a realyl great price (like $50)

uppipe, and mbc will give you a lot of increased power.

search!

dR

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
wrxtuner2006 said:
I have an 2002 WRX. I'm a senior in high school so money is very tight. I just was wondering what mods would give me the most non-stock looking car for my money. I already have a Titanium short throw shifter that came as an option on the car and i have ordered a BOV basicly to hear the pshhhhhhh sound and to save the life of the turbo. I was thinking about getting a cold air intake to help out on gas milage and give me about 10 more horses. I'm not sure though so if anybody has any helpful info just IM me or reply. Thanks.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A truly classic BOV and CAI post!

anyways, as for your questions:

First off forget the BOV. Which one were you going to buy anyways? There are only 2 or 3 BOV's that actually work well with the stock turbo and those are rather expensive. Most other BOV with cause hesitation between shifts and cause your car to run bad. The stock BOV is more than adequate to run and will hold upto 19psi and support even mildly upgraded turbo's.
As for the intake, its kinda the same thing. Some hurt your car, others just dont make a different in performance. So spending money on an intake is literally worthless.

Instead of buying those two mods, go ahead and get an uppipe/downpipe combo. This will free your car of its cats and make a huge difference in how early your turbo spools and will give a significant increase in horsepower. After that I would say go towards engine management, but since you are low on funds go ahead and get a MBC (manual boost controller) which allows you to raise and lower the boost in the car. When using a manual boost controller though you MUST make sure that you already have a catless uppipe otherwise the heat (EGT) of increased boost will kill your uppipe cat and then kill your turbo. Also, you will need a boost gauge to know how much boost you are pushing so pick one of those up and do not exceed 15.5psi as a general rule of thumb.

Good luck :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
165 Posts
The BOV I ordered is an OBX racing valve. I already have a boost/vaccum gauge which i belive came stock on the car. It is measured in MPA's whcih i think might stand for mega pascals in which case .1mpa= 13.5 psi if my physics is correct, which might not be. I'm not even sure if it is accurate though because it shows that the car is on the first vaccum line even when the car is off.

So I don't know if a after market boost gauge would help or not.

·
Registered
350 Posts
wrxtuner2006 said:
You should still get one to monitor your boost. Yeah Ditch the CAI and go with the exhaust set up. Get rid of some cats, flash your ECU and thank ClubWrx.net later :rotfl:

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
wrxtuner2006 said:
The BOV I ordered is an OBX racing valve. I already have a boost/vaccum gauge which i belive came stock on the car. It is measured in MPA's whcih i think might stand for mega pascals in which case .1mpa= 13.5 psi if my physics is correct, which might not be. I'm not even sure if it is accurate though because it shows that the car is on the first vaccum line even when the car is off.

Cancel your order on the OBX BOV. The only BOV's that actually work well with the stock wrx are stacker design BOV's such as forge and worx. OBX is a second rate performance parts company I would not trust that thing to work effeciently on your car.
Cancel the order and put that money towards a downpipe or uppipe.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think I might just keep the BOV cuz i got what i think is a good deal on it ($88). Then i am going to just keep the stock intake and get a high flow air filter like a K&N or Fram Air Hog or somthing. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
cut the silencer, gut your uppipe, mbc like he said, and if you really want insane sound turboback exhaust. try open downpipe once and see what your car really sounds like.

im on a budget too, college is expensive. i have a k&n dropin and it did NOTHING. but i also got a free muffler so i can hear the boxer growl over everything. i think the gutted uppipe makes biggest difference and mpg goes up :) .
btw, i ran 16-17 psi just to run against Supra, don't recommend but 15.5 should be enough.

good luck dude

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.