Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 30k service is 200 miiles away. What is the best manual transmission fluid for the 2002 WRX? Got links to where I could order it? Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think this has been discussed hella times already but I'm going to suggest RedLine Racing's MT-90, it'll be about 6 bucks a quart from any real parts shop.

-alex

·
Registered
480 Posts
There is no explanation in that article why not to use it? Also I think they're mentioning no to use RedLine's 75W90 formula, I tried that along with 75W90NS and a combo of both. It didn't help the grinding. I changed my oil at about 10K and don't have any problems as I did prior to the Manual Tranny fluid change. I'm only speaking from experience and with the way I drive, sometimes, I'm glad I made the switch.

-alex

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wRxOne said:
There is no explanation in that article why not to use it? Also I think they're mentioning no to use RedLine's 75W90 formula, I tried that along with 75W90NS and a combo of both. It didn't help the grinding. I changed my oil at about 10K and don't have any problems as I did prior to the Manual Tranny fluid change. I'm only speaking from experience and with the way I drive, sometimes, I'm glad I made the switch.

-alex
Which one should I get and where can I order it? No shops around here sell it.

You've experienced no problems or damage to your trans?

I just want smoother shifts. Less grinding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This topic has been discussed at length, and opinions vary, sometimes quite strongly.
I found Cobb's technical recommendation for the MT 90 and took it, changing at 27,000 miles. So far (at 37,000 miles), I think that it has helped improve the shifting. BUT, I later found out that MT 90 is GL-4, and our transmissions are spec'd to use GL-5.
The most recent posts that I've read suggest that Neo HD would be a better choice. I'll probably change to that this spring, just for peace of mind long-term.
There are a number of people who swear by the stock lube.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No problems at all from RedLines's MT-90. Grinding eliminated and cold starts are back to normal. I've taken the WRX into the two most extreme places Las Vegas in the Summer and Lake Tahoe, CA in the winter and didn't have any problems with the transmission so I'm sold on RedLine's products. Here is a link to thier dealers:
http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.htm

-alex

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Yes, it's not the appropriate fluid and does not meet the manufacturer's warranty requirements.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have Neo Synthetic 75W90 HD in my MT and am quite pleased. I noticed an immediate difference. Although I will agree with some others that getting into 1st gear is slightly more difficutlt, I know that shifting into all other gears (even reverse) is much easier now!

I got mine from http://www.stockcarproducts.com for $49 for 1 gallon. (All you need for MT/front diff)

I put Mobil 1 QT 75W90 in my rear differential at the same time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone ever use royal purple 75w90? It is GL-4 and GL-5 compatible, and I have always heard good things about royal purple. Not to mention that I work at an auto parts store, and we have it in stock :) Please let me know.

Aaron

·
Registered
480 Posts
this topic has already been highly debated and a lot of people have already put their imput on all the oil products, I use redline since it's proven to me that their stuff works. try royal purple, some people have found that effective also, you just have to use whats available in your area i guess.

-alex

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll put in a plug for Amsoil 75w-90 GL5 full synthetic gear lube. Nothing miraculous, but a definite improvement over stock. I also use Amsoil 5w-30 oil and anti-drainback oil filters. :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I use motul gear 300 as well, works well, but doesn't eliminate every problem with the tranny.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
I have read too much about synthectics such as Mobil 1 and Neo. And there are mixed reviews about them helping with shifting. But some made matters worse. I think I may just go with the fluid that came from the factory and leave it at that. I have never had problems with my tranny now, and don't want problems in the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts