ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to do a quick plug and play install. ive never done HIDs so i want to know what you guys think the best bulbs are. dont like the stock yellow color. i want clear white. thanks

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've used those Piaa lights before. Very good bulbs, they increased the light output and didn't need upgraded harnesses. I had them on my R6 and on one of my Integera's.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Wow that's exactly what I want. The guy said for bikes tho. Do h-7s fit an 02 bugeye?
Negatory. You need 9007 bulbs, and since the bulb is dual filament (one bulb for high and low beams), you can't substitute any other bulb types.

I'll save you the trouble of emailing Daniel Stern, and just tell you he recommended Philips X-Treme Power bulbs for my '03. They are an improvement over OE bulbs, but they have an directly proportional increase in price, although Amazon has a pair for around $30. I like them a lot, and they don't have the cheap "HID" BS tinting like Silverstars.

Do yourself a favor and skip the HID kits, unless you plan on doing a proper retrofit (DOT certified projectors, shrouds, ballasts, and bulbs). An "HID" bulb in the factory headlamp will not focus properly, and not only will you be blinding other drivers, the light will scatter sooner, so you'll actually have less vision.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
In my wrx it took me 10 minutes to install and it was p&p!
To install cheap bulbs in your halogen reflectors while pissing off all oncoming traffic and losing beam distance only took 10 minutes and was ported and polished?!?!

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

I'm sorry, but cheap $50 HID kits are a danger to yourself and other traffic. Sure, it's cheap and easy, but so is a $5 hooker. That's doesn't mean you should do it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Whats the difference between 50$ hids and 300$ hids?

i see alot more with my 6k hids then the oem bulbs...
This has been discussed MANY times on numerous threads and usually ends up in fisticuffs and thread locks, so I'll just leave you the link to Daniel Stern's excellent write up on the matter, which includes his personal research, as well as Dept. of Transportation research studies and data.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so right now I'm debating between the Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs linked above and these Piaa Xtreme White that I just found on amazon.
PIAA 19617 9007 Xtreme White 65/55 Watt = 120/11 Watt Upgrade Bulb - Pair:Amazon:Automotive
I'm looking for a clear white color and it appears that the Piaa Xtreme will give me a better white. Any last suggestions/comments before I make my purchase? Also what is the size of the fog bulbs on the bugeye? I might upgrade those aswell.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
In my wrx it took me 10 minutes to install and it was p&p!
You didn't do it correctly then. You need to retrofit projectors in there to make things correct. If you have an 06+ WRX, the RetroQuik is 330 bucks, is easy to install, and is the proper way to install HIDs.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Ok so right now I'm debating between the Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs linked above and these Piaa Xtreme White that I just found on amazon.
PIAA 19617 9007 Xtreme White 65/55 Watt = 120/11 Watt Upgrade Bulb - Pair:Amazon:Automotive
I'm looking for a clear white color and it appears that the Piaa Xtreme will give me a better white. Any last suggestions/comments before I make my purchase? Also what is the size of the fog bulbs on the bugeye? I might upgrade those aswell.
I have PIAA Foglights, and the output is amazing. I didn't even know that I had a headlight out because the output of the fogs made up for the headlight being out. Either way doesn't matter... Phillips is a great company, and PIAA is a great company. Personally I'd do PIAA just because of how impressed I am with my fog lights, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I have PIAA Foglights, and the output is amazing. I didn't even know that I had a headlight out because the output of the fogs made up for the headlight being out. Either way doesn't matter... Phillips is a great company, and PIAA is a great company. Personally I'd do PIAA just because of how impressed I am with my fog lights, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Agreed.
To the OP:
Although I'd say if you really want a whiter shade of light, go with the PIAAs. My X-Powers, while very bright, do not look particularly white.

As for fogs, you need H3-55W. Like Sinister, I installed aftermatket fog lights, except I bought the HELLA 500s, which I've been very pleased with. I live in an area that regularly has extremely dense fog, and often I can't see anything unless I use the fogs. I tend to avoid using them in anything other than inclement weather just because they are so bright. More importantly, the beams are low, wide, and flat, just like they should be.

Sent from my CM7 Nook Color!

·
Registered
651 Posts
As another option, if you want brighter fog lights for greater total light output (i.e. not for use in actual fog), I replaced my fog lights with Hella 500FF driving lights. They are almost exactly the same size as the stock fogs and are ~2x as powerful as my high beams (both in how bright they are and in how far down the road they light up). I don't ever get fog around where I live, but there are tons of deer. Being able to see farther down the road is the most important thing for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bought the PIAA Xtreme White Plus. I'm getting my car back from the shop later today so I will install the new bulbs tonight and take some before and after pics for you guys. I'm excited!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here is a pic. its a ****ty one i took on my iPhone. i'll try and take some better ones with a digital camera later this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts